Chubby Apple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sandahlpipe

Chubby Apple

Post by sandahlpipe »

I've been relatively quiet on the forum, reading as much as I can until this point. With each pipe being an improvement over the last, I haven't felt ready to post anything for critique, because I've known where I made my errors. This pipe is something I'm currently very pleased with. I would like to know what you would change. The shank extension is boxwood and the stem is ebonite. I plan to bring the pipe to Chicago where you can have a better look/sharper criticism if you so desire.

Don't hold back!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
d.huber

Re: Chubby Apple

Post by d.huber »

Based on what's visible in the photos, I'd suggest straight sides on the stem, repeating the lines on the shank.

That said, based on the photos, this is an impressive pipe that you should be proud of. I have nothing else to offer. I look forward to seeing it in person.

Great work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Outstanding, pro-class work from what I can see. :D

Since you specifically asked for what we would change, that would be the cross-sectional shape of the decorative ring. Two reasons. Sharp wooden edges are delicate, and are prone to denting and chipping even with normal use; plus I think the sharpness clashes aesthetically with the rounded forms everywhere else. (I understand that visual dissonance might have been exactly your intent, though, while complementing the curve-sided stem in the bargain... I'm just saying I would have chosen differently.)

Are you entering the KC Show carving contest in June?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to the show or if I will have a chance to make enough pipes to attend. Is it an option to send the contest pipe in by mail? If so, I'd love to enter if for no other reason than to get helpful criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote:Is it an option to send the contest pipe in by mail?
Yes.

Here's the info:

http://www.gkcpipeclub.com/Resources/Do ... 20Memo.pdf
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Wow! Another new graduate to the next level. (Not sure what that means, but it's good. :D)

Very nice.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Very nice Jeremiah. You get a :shock: for that.

andrew
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I agree with the straight stem and shank ring comment. I also think the button could have used a little more arch to it. It seems pretty flat on both sides. Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the bowl dips very slightly under the shank, as well as the stem being slightly flatter than I would have suspected. But these could just be the angle the pictures were taken. When you get to this point in the pipe making journey there are a million different opinions on minor changes that could be made. Some will argue one point, and some will argue 100% opposite to that point. Its a pretty good place to be. Its also good to see you posting here!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You are all far too kind.

I can say that the bowl does not dip below the shank. That's the way the shadows play with the pipe sitting up slightly due to shank extension. The stem is relatively flat, but that's the way I like my stems. I think it's more comfortable that way. It appears flatter on these pictures than it really is because of the lighting.

The button could have more curve to it. I will need to figure out how to make that work with the button also curving in towards the shank in the middle.

I do thank you all for your advice. I am soaking it in. I was a bit nervous to put a grade on this pipe for the first time, mostly because of what I don't yet know.

---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Rapid improvement! Ive been spending my mornings before work and almost all my days off working on pipes the last few months. probably about 30+ hours a week. it seems to help sharpen all my skills if I get my hands working every day. It feels like its all coming together finally and I nail down a new step almost daily, and seems like the same is thing happening for you. If you ever see something on IG that interests you let me know, im down for a critique trade.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

My wife says I can't do any more pipe trades this year. I've traded with about 5 others in the past few months and have one more left to trade. I'd be happy to critique a pipe and send it back to you, but there are many more qualified than I to do that.

I don't know that I would say my development has been rapid. I feel that it's been slow and steady for the past year and a half. If there is noticeable improvement in the past couple of months, it's probably because Walt Cannoy (Comoy...still fishing to be the one who gets the tin of Royal Yacht!) has been mentoring me. I've gotten a lot of helpful advice from the people on this forum as well.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Rapid as in the last few months. It just felt like we were progressing at the same rate recently. Go to the stuff we were posting 16 weeks ago on IG for instance.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

In that case, I'm going to give the credit to Walt. Looks like the mentorship is paying off after all. :D
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Charl

Post by Charl »

I agree, really a good well-made pipe.
The ring for me is a bit too sharp, too abrupt and it harpers the flow. Maybe something flatter would have worked better?
And for once I might agree with uberschluber, the flare on the stem doesn't work for me.
But definitely a pipe that I would look at twice!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a very well made pipe, Jeremiah. Nice work. One bit of advice that I am slowly learning: most pipe buyers don't like unusually shaped stems. I see that you were mirroring the flare on the shank cap. On some of my earlier pipes, I would shape the stem to mimic the shank and didn't get very good feedback or sales. It seems folks prefer their stems mundane so I've toned my stem designs down significantly. I don't think your stem looks bad. In fact, I think without it the pronounced shank cap wouldn't work as well. But, from a selling standpoint, you shorten your potential buyer audience. So long as you are good with that with unusual designs it's all good. That's been my experience anyway. Keep up the good work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Great point, Wayne. I hadn't thought of that. I am personally a huge fan of more fancy stems. I really admire Yashtylov and Starkov stems. I can see how the fancy stems limit the audience, especially considering I haven't built the reputation that they have.

I appreciate your advice. Thank you!

---

Jeremiah Sandahl