Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
maxmil

Re: Pointed Cutty

Post by maxmil »

Thank you very much.
Best regards.

Muchas gracias.
Saludos.
Ccoolee wrote:As a noob to this and only being on the forum for a couple of weeks. I think some of us might need to specify what type of critique we are looking for in our work.
However, most of you seem
to know each other work and skill level. If not personally, from experience. I would be willing to guess that most of you can eye a pipe and measure a skill level of the maker. I also think that you automatically go to a grading level equal to the hand of the carver. I expect no one will mention on my first critique that there might be an uneven line or possibly could be lens distortion. There will be other much more glaring issues with mine and I'll be measured at my skill level.
Maxmil I strive to someday me measured at that level, beautiful work.

Sent from my banana phone.
maxmil

Re: Pointed Cutty "MacReedy"

Post by maxmil »

Exactly.
Best regards.

Exactamente.
Saludos.

LatakiaLover wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:...I think it's important for us to be willing to push each other to the next level, which [can be] quite nit-picky.

That being said, I personally appreciate being held to a very high standard- possibly one I may never measure up to.
It doesn't take long to figure out what gallery posters are looking for... it's that sometimes "not long" isn't quick enough.

That delay is when hurt feelings, confusion, and etc. occur.

Having a poster clearly state up front what he wants out of the hobby, what his aspirations are as a carver (amateur or pro, and if pro, what market he is shooting for), and so forth will avoid pretty much any drama. PLUS will harvest far more useful---and usefully worded---feedback.

The exception would be when someone asks for more than he belatedly discovers he actually wants. But even when that happens, there can be no crying foul if it was written down in black and white. The poster only has to amend his request, and the critique will make a course correction.

Maxmil's explanation of who he is, why he makes pipes, what he hopes to achieve, and so forth completely changed how I will approach any future pipes he submits, for example. I thought he was a Whippersnapper shooting for the stars. Now I know he simply wants to make good pipes that he's proud of, and have fun doing it.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Make them by hand so they look like a machine did it.There must be standards,But their must be warmth.This standard to be a perfect replicator is confusing, why attain at all ? Just build a machine.Then your lights can reflect perfectly.I prefer my lights to dance in the love of creation, that I am. Maxmil, You have made one of the most beautiful pipes I have ever seen, Thank You! :evil:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Maxmil, You have made a very beautiful pipe,Thank you for showing.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Thank you very much.
Best regards.

Muchas gracias.
Saludos.

pipedreamer wrote:Maxmil, You have made a very beautiful pipe,Thank you for showing.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

For perfectionists satisfaction, ad I proceeded to correct the slight distortion that so subtly appreciated.
I promise to pay more attention to these details in the future.
Best regrads.
Félix

Para satisfacción de los perfeccionistas, anuncio que he procedido a corregir la ligera distorsión que tan sutilmente apreciaron.
Prometo prestar más atención a esos detalles, en lo sucesivo.
Saludos.
Félix

Charl

Post by Charl »

Now for the next one! :thumbsup: I personally love seeing your pipes, even though LL gave you a bit of a scrubbing on this one!
Every now and then we need little stitches like that to keep up the quality!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

pipedreamer wrote: Just build a machine.Then your lights can reflect perfectly.
:lol:

It doesn't work that way. Would you believe that the flattest surfaces that it's possible to make in the tooling world are done by hand, and can only be done by hand? It's true. Machined surfaces can't compare. The why of it is complicated, but doesn't matter. The same principles are in effect when creating curved 3D objects like pipes.

The whole idea of high end pipe making is to create a functional, unique, real-world object that looks as if it was made by some fantastically advanced, super-specialized machine that doesn't yet exist and probably never will. Why? Because it is insanely difficult to do. Like climbing K2, playing concert-level violin, or finishing the Leadville 100. Humans need no other excuse. Achieving excellence in something is what makes the tedious, daily bullshit of surviving on Planet Earth worth it for many people, and some of them have settled on smoking pipes as their medium.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

L.L You are one of a kind. Thank God.
I do love you, really I do.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Thank you.
Best regards.
Félix

Gracias.
Saludos.
Félix
Charl wrote:Now for the next one! :thumbsup: I personally love seeing your pipes, even though LL gave you a bit of a scrubbing on this one!
Every now and then we need little stitches like that to keep up the quality!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

You are absolutely right and that, if we got it would be because we would have become machines.
Best regards.
Félix

Tiene usted toda la razón; además, si lo consiguiéramos sería porque nos habríamos convertido en máquinas.
Saludos.
Félix
LatakiaLover wrote:
pipedreamer wrote: Just build a machine.Then your lights can reflect perfectly.
:lol:

It doesn't work that way. Would you believe that the flattest surfaces that it's possible to make in the tooling world are done by hand, and can only be done by hand? It's true. Machined surfaces can't compare. The why of it is complicated, but doesn't matter. The same principles are in effect when creating curved 3D objects like pipes.

The whole idea of high end pipe making is to create a functional, unique, real-world object that looks as if it was made by some fantastically advanced, super-specialized machine that doesn't yet exist and probably never will. Why? Because it is insanely difficult to do. Like climbing K2, playing concert-level violin, or finishing the Leadville 100. Humans need no other excuse. Achieving excellence in something is what makes the tedious, daily bullshit of surviving on Planet Earth worth it for many people, and some of them have settled on smoking pipes as their medium.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

About the shape and curvature of the pipe.
Best regards.

Sobre la forma y la curvatura de la pipa.
Saludos.