My latest pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
dreadroberts

My latest pipe

Post by dreadroberts »

This is still early in my pipe making adventure but is a pipe I have been very pleased to have finished.

I still made some errors on shaping but I hope I was able to apply some of the tips you guys gave. In drilling the stem it was a lot longer than the others that I have done and the drill bit "walked" and created a very crooked airway. I tried to rescue it, and was pretty successful in making a good smoking pipe but the button ain't pretty. :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
-Mat
dreadroberts

Re: My latest pipe

Post by dreadroberts »

Frustratingly, I still have issues with my face.... :P

I did all of my sanding and shaping with the stem attached and I had a very smooth fit.

But after finishing it obviously went south on me a little bit. I am pretty sure that during the finishing process (dying and buffing) that the tripoli or white diamond wheels took just enough off to cause issue.

How are you guys getting the nicely polished face and not skewing the "flatness"?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
-Mat
Sasquatch

Re: My latest pipe

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, don't take the pipe apart when you polish.

Or, if you left it together, don't use the wheels quite so much - sand it betterer and use less of the tripoli action. But I'm guessing you finished them separately.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!