Poker Pipe Nomad Series

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
uniquebriar

Poker Pipe Nomad Series

Post by uniquebriar »

Here is poker pipe. Again any critique would be welcomed.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
UncleDraken

Re: Poker Pipe Nomad Series

Post by UncleDraken »

Newbie pipe maker here with a question; what's that finish called and how did you make it? I've seen it around, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

It's a rustication- if you do a forum search on it, you'll come up with a wealth of info- in general it's a carved texture. The manner of the carving makes all the difference.

As far as critique, here are some things that hit me.

-The overall proportions are goofy. The bowl is waaaaaay too big for the shank. If you want to make the pipe into a nosewarmer, you need to beef up the shank so it feels less out of place on an otherwise MASSIVE pipe. Alternatively you can just slim down the bowl's size.
-The transition between the shank and the bowl feels way too abrupt. Check out this pipe by Nate King- you notice he blends that transition with a chainsaw file, rather than keeping machine made sharp edges. http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/N ... _ID=137364
-The shank feels like it pinches towards the bowl. This is possibly an illusion. You may have taken more off than necessary too. A helpful thing to remember with straight shanks on billiards and pokers alike- you actually want the shank to taper a bit towards the stem- ever so slightly- otherwise it feels like it's pinching towards the bowl no matter what.
-There's some wonkiness on the shank to stem transition. Is the smooth portion of briar spacing the rustication and the stem part of the stummel? Or was it glued on or something? It looks like there is a gap.
-The stem's saddle transition needs to be pushed way back towards the bowl. Right now the stem stays thick for way to far before hitting the saddle. It looks clunky. You want saddle stems to cut really quickly.
-Looking at your airway, it doesn't look as if you have cut a slot at all. Cutting a deep V-slow will smooth out the airflow, and create a better smoking experience. For a helpful tutorial, check out the first couple pictures Kurt Huhn posted in his handcut stem essay: http://www.pipemakersforum.com/photo_es ... cut_stems/
for more information on slot cutting just do some searching around the forum. There is a lot to learn on cutting good slots.

I think those are most of the critiques I see, definitely enough to get started!

Make more pipes!

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:It's a rustication- if you do a forum search on it, you'll come up with a wealth of info- in general it's a carved texture. The manner of the carving makes all the difference.
Ah! I knew it probably fell under rustication, but I thought it might have a more specific name. It's good to know I can carve it rather than have to use a machine I don't have access to :@
Thanks Micah :)
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:It's a rustication- if you do a forum search on it, you'll come up with a wealth of info- in general it's a carved texture. The manner of the carving makes all the difference.

As far as critique, here are some things that hit me.

-The overall proportions are goofy. The bowl is waaaaaay too big for the shank. If you want to make the pipe into a nosewarmer, you need to beef up the shank so it feels less out of place on an otherwise MASSIVE pipe. Alternatively you can just slim down the bowl's size.
-The transition between the shank and the bowl feels way too abrupt. Check out this pipe by Nate King- you notice he blends that transition with a chainsaw file, rather than keeping machine made sharp edges. http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/N ... _ID=137364
-The shank feels like it pinches towards the bowl. This is possibly an illusion. You may have taken more off than necessary too. A helpful thing to remember with straight shanks on billiards and pokers alike- you actually want the shank to taper a bit towards the stem- ever so slightly- otherwise it feels like it's pinching towards the bowl no matter what.
-There's some wonkiness on the shank to stem transition. Is the smooth portion of briar spacing the rustication and the stem part of the stummel? Or was it glued on or something? It looks like there is a gap.
-The stem's saddle transition needs to be pushed way back towards the bowl. Right now the stem stays thick for way to far before hitting the saddle. It looks clunky. You want saddle stems to cut really quickly.
-Looking at your airway, it doesn't look as if you have cut a slot at all. Cutting a deep V-slow will smooth out the airflow, and create a better smoking experience. For a helpful tutorial, check out the first couple pictures Kurt Huhn posted in his handcut stem essay: http://www.pipemakersforum.com/photo_es ... cut_stems/
for more information on slot cutting just do some searching around the forum. There is a lot to learn on cutting good slots.

I think those are most of the critiques I see, definitely enough to get started!

Make more pipes!

Yeti
I disagree 100% in your opinion about this pipe. The size and shape and bowl to shank transition is perfected. But everyone has there own opinion to each its own.
Hand Crafted Pipes
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

uniquebriar wrote:
I disagree 100% in your opinion about this pipe. The size and shape and bowl to shank transition is perfected. But everyone has there own opinion to each its own.
I thought you said you wanted critique?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
uniquebriar wrote:
I do want critique but from what you wrote its more towards a insult or bigotry. No wonder some new pipe makers and some veterans do not post there work onto this forum you make them either hide or run.
Hand Crafted Pipes
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

uniquebriar wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:
uniquebriar wrote:
I do want critique but from what you wrote its more towards a insult or bigotry. No wonder some new pipe makers and some veterans do not post there work onto this forum you make them either hide or run.
Hi Pedro,

Welcome back to the forum.

Micah's feedback is very good advice and I hope that you take the time to read it over and apply some of the things he's offered you. Understand that he has taken the time to offer feedback when it was asked for. Any insult you take from his advice is purely on the receiving end.

Many many people come here for advice on their pipes and receive it freely and without malice. In no way has anyone that I've seen offer critique in order to offend or discourage. This is a place of learning and learning is encouraged here.

You've been to the forum before and asked for critique but have not accepted or applied any advice that has been given to you, which discourages most of us from offering it. I was surprised to see Micah take time to offer you assistance but was not surprised to see you refuse it.

Like I said, many people come here for help and to learn. It has been clear in the past and is abundantly clear now that you do not come here for that reason. You are welcome to stay and participate, but I would encourage you to listen if someone takes the time to offer you critique.

Sincerely,
David
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Uniquebriar,
Bigotry? Insult?
You asked for a critique and got one. I find nothing bigoted or insulting.
If you felt you made the perfect pipe, why ask?
In looking at your web site, I see you ask $75 for this type of pipe. I feel it's in line for what it is. It's a pipe you had fun making and are asking a reasonable price.
Most here are trying to make the best piece possible, within their skill set. You have found what is pleasing for you, others want to strive further into artisan pieces. For some this is a living and others it's a hobby. Just enjoy.
FYI-The size and shape and bowl to shank transition is not perfect.
Yeti is a bigot, Yeti is a bigot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Don't listen to uberhuberman, he's an insulting bigot...............and his reply was extremely dismissive :ROFL:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I just want to get in on this thread on the first page. I have nothing to add. But I'll try to post on every page as it develops, and until it's locked.

I can play a Bbm7 chord in two positions now. Faster on the sixth fret but it sounds nicer in 1st position with the ringing d string.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Sasquatch wrote:I just want to get in on this thread on the first page. I have nothing to add. But I'll try to post on every page as it develops, and until it's locked.

I can play a Bbm7 chord in two positions now. Faster on the sixth fret but it sounds nicer in 1st position with the ringing d string.
I just guzzled down a 7.5 fl oz diet Pepsi and had the greatest D minor, three second burp.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Uniquebriar,
Don't ask for critique if you don't want it. Yeti's response was respectful and accurate. Your pipe needs work. We're not here to coddle. This forum exists largely because carvers want to improve their work, and it's difficult to do that in a vacuum. If you want nothing but affirmation of your work there are other places you can post that will give you just that. Please continue posting, but please be more respectful when someone gives you exactly what you are asking for: critique.

andrew
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

I like the pipe and don't really have any critique to add but here is some theme music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j-SFbEqZ18 to read a long to
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

Uniquebriar, no one has insulted you. If you like your pipes then that is good, but if you ask for feedback than expect it to be given. This is the pipe makers forum, not the rainbows and teddy bears forum.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

baweaverpipes wrote:Don't listen to uberhuberman, he's an insulting bigot...............and his reply was extremely dismissive :ROFL:
I'm a big fan of missives, but I hate purple elephants.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
BobR

Post by BobR »

Bob
notow1

Post by notow1 »

You take good pictures and get a nice detailed critique that You didn't really want. I take crappy pictures and can't get a good critique that I do want. I hope Your response hasn't made Yeti not want to offer critiques, Norm.
BELance

Post by BELance »

Best Regards,
Brian
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Somebody didn't read Tyler's Gallery sticky:

READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST A PHOTO

The main purpose of this forum is to post photos of the pipes you make with the intent to solicited helpful critique.

Please be aware, this might hurt.

That is not the intention, but as with any endeavor that one has invested time and effort, to have flaws pointed out is not fun. The reason for critique is to help you become as good a pipe maker as you'd like to be. It is not meant to make you feel bad.

If you want to hear nothing but praise and fawning, post the photos pretty much anywhere else on the web. You will almost universally be praised as the next great thing, as an amazing artist, and as one of the best pipe makers in the world.

Here, you will hear the truth.

Welcome, and please post away. You are a part of the best place on the web to learn to make great pipes. We're glad you're here.

P.S. You are welcome to post your pipes that you DO NOT want comments and critique on. If that's your desire, please make that abundantly clear in your post.

Regarding the last line, display only is NOT what the poster/submitter asked for. He said:
Here is poker pipe. Again any critique would be welcomed.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.