How to broach a relationship with an established pipemaker?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
deBeaupre

How to broach a relationship with an established pipemaker?

Post by deBeaupre »

I happen to live fairly close to a well respected pipe maker whom I would love to learn from. Is that creepy to make a cold call or email? Should I wait until I have a website showing my work like a resume?

Cheers,
Matt
e Markle

Re: How to broach a relationship with an established pipemak

Post by e Markle »

deBeaupre wrote:I happen to live fairly close to a well respected pipe maker whom I would love to learn from. Is that creepy to make a cold call or email? Should I wait until I have a website showing my work like a resume?

Cheers,
Matt
Hey Matt,
See if you can do a search on this topic. We've discussed this several times in the past.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

whos the maker, Vesz or parks? if its Michael, hes one of the nicest guys and would probably like to chat with you. Although he is extremely busy, but good luck. Vesz is kind of unpleasant and probably wont really talk with you about pipe making, only if your interested in buying his work...trust me.

Why don't you come to Toronto pipe club (in the summer)? there are people there who make pipes

Evan
notow1

Post by notow1 »

I contacted a famous pipe maker on this forum to see if He would be willing to critique one of My pipes. The response was very positive and friendly so I sent one of My pipes. I received a very detailed critique with a lot of good advice and pictures with good suggestions for changes. Sadly I posted a couple of pipes that that didn't reflect this advice but My future pipes will. I would guess it all depends on Who You ask but in My case the response was above and beyond what I expected. I can't thank the Person enough and in Your case I would say You can only try, The worst that can happen is They will say no. It might help if You convince Them Your not a stalker, it worked for Me, Norm.
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

wisemanpipes wrote:whos the maker, Vesz or parks? if its Michael, hes one of the nicest guys and would probably like to chat with you. Although he is extremely busy, but good luck. Vesz is kind of unpleasant and probably wont really talk with you about pipe making, only if your interested in buying his work...trust me.

Why don't you come to Toronto pipe club (in the summer)? there are people there who make pipes

Evan
Just a public addendum to our PM,

I'm sure Julius Vesz is extremely burdened with a ridiculously high rent at Fairmont Royal York. This would make any good man a curmudgeon from time to time.

Cheers,

Matt
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

deBeaupre wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote:whos the maker, Vesz or parks? if its Michael, hes one of the nicest guys and would probably like to chat with you. Although he is extremely busy, but good luck. Vesz is kind of unpleasant and probably wont really talk with you about pipe making, only if your interested in buying his work...trust me.

Evan
This would make any good man a curmudgeon from time to time.
Like I said in our PM,

Its definitely not his high rent prices that makes him sour. He doesn't have time for the millionth person to ask him about pipe making and he definitely doesn't have time to teach anyone. He comes across as, if you're not there to buy a pipe, GTFO, so to speak.

Evan
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Sometimes just a few conversations on the phone is enough to jump a hurdle in your pipemaking. It is not necessary to visit with an established pipe maker in order to get better and learn. However, it is always good to visit with others. If you end up giving him a call and visiting, be sure to give back in some way. Bringing a gift is always a nice gesture.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
phmann

Post by phmann »

don't show him your avatar pic.
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com