critique on pipe shape

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

critique on pipe shape

Post by notow1 »

I started this pipe and once again ran into major pits, mostly on the shank. I tried a new way ( for Me ) to rusticate it. I would appreciate any comments and advice on the shaping and rustication or anything else You think I should work on improving. Thanks for any advice, Norm.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yak

Re: critique on pipe shape

Post by Yak »

Deleted as irrelevant.
Last edited by Yak on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Yak wrote:1) The shank flaring out to the stem (especially top/bottom views) looks inept, FWIW.

2) Everybody's doing bowl rings recently, and they're nearly all in rounded surfaces. Rings ordinarily want to be break points (frontiers) where the contour changes abruptly. Or at least preferentially want to be.

Example : bulldogs, where the bowl top beyond the top flat is a straight bevil to at (or near) the top ring, and the bottom ring is the demarcation line of the rounded bottom meeting the space between the rings (parallel sided). They emphasise the contour changes.
I see what Your pointing out and would probably have had a much better looking pipe by continuing the bevel from the bottom ring. I caused the stem/shank problem when I rusticated it and the worst part is I should have seen it and fixed it. Hopefully I'll get to the point where I will see this stuff and not depend on You Guys to point it out. Thanks for taking the time to comment and for the advice, Norm.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Trying to fix the shank I cracked it. Trying to shorten and redrill the shank I broke it. The stummel is in the trash so things worked out for the best. Sometimes You have to admit You made a crabby pipe, Norm.