Horn "Islero"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
maxmil

Horn "Islero"

Post by maxmil »

This pipe is named after the bull that killed Manolete, master teacher of bullfighting.
Best regards.
Félix

Esta pipa lleva el nombre del toro que mato a Manolete, maestro de maestros del toreo.
Saludos.
Félix

the rev

Re: Horn "Islero"

Post by the rev »

Love the pipe, bizarre grain on that thing.

Manolete for those that don't know was the Wayne Gretsky of bullfighting. He was so graceful and precise in everything he did, that it seemed like he was dancing with the bulls. There was a story about a time he was gored. "When the bull begins to charge you know if he is looking at you or the cape. In this stationary pose the bull was not looking at the cape but Manolete. Normally you would step forward merging your body with the cape then thrust to cape in front again in order to make the bull focus on it, but Manolete did not do it. He stood still and the bull gored him. Afterwards he was asked why he didn't move, and his answer 'If I move... I am not Manolete'"

He was a hero in my youth, but there were two others I loved more:

Carlos Arruza the mexican matador who was Manolete's rival

And Juan Belmonte who was a rough kid with a rags to riches story

Please make tributes to these too someday brother

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I'm glad you interpreted my intention properly.
Beste regards.
Félix

Me alegro de que hayas interpretado mi intención adecuadamente.
Saludos.
Félix
the rev wrote:Love the pipe, bizarre grain on that thing.

Manolete for those that don't know was the Wayne Gretsky of bullfighting. He was so graceful and precise in everything he did, that it seemed like he was dancing with the bulls. There was a story about a time he was gored. "When the bull begins to charge you know if he is looking at you or the cape. In this stationary pose the bull was not looking at the cape but Manolete. Normally you would step forward merging your body with the cape then thrust to cape in front again in order to make the bull focus on it, but Manolete did not do it. He stood still and the bull gored him. Afterwards he was asked why he didn't move, and his answer 'If I move... I am not Manolete'"

rev
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

We lived in Sevilla, Spain in the early 1960's, one of the locals became sort of our "tour" guide for the 3 years we lived in Spain. One of the places he took us was the the bull ring that Manolete met his fate.

The pipe is beautiful.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

The bullring in Linares (Jaen).
I'm glad you called my country.
Best regards.
Félix

La plaza de toros de Linares (Jaen).
Me alegra que hayas conocido mí pais.
Saludos.
Félix
dogcatcher wrote:We lived in Sevilla, Spain in the early 1960's, one of the locals became sort of our "tour" guide for the 3 years we lived in Spain. One of the places he took us was the the bull ring that Manolete met his fate.

The pipe is beautiful.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Of all of the places the military has sent me, Spain was the greatest place to live. The country side around Sevilla was almost like being back home in Texas. Instead of miles of olive trees grape vineyards, we have cotton fields and pasture land. But we are catching up on the vineyards in some parts of Texas.

Always wanted to go back for a visit, but now I am too old, so the great memories will have to enough.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Seeming to Spain, you'd look surprised by the change experienced by the country over the years.
Go ahead, I'll offer my home in La Coruña (Galicia).
Best regards.
Félix

Si volvieses a España, te verías sorprendido por el cambio que experimentó el pais en todos estos años.
Anímate, yo te brindo mí casa en La Coruña (Galicia).
Saludos.
Félix

dogcatcher wrote:Of all of the places the military has sent me, Spain was the greatest place to live. The country side around Sevilla was almost like being back home in Texas. Instead of miles of olive trees grape vineyards, we have cotton fields and pasture land. But we are catching up on the vineyards in some parts of Texas.

Always wanted to go back for a visit, but now I am too old, so the great memories will have to enough.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

A while back I did a Google Earth of the area that I remembered the most. A lot of changes, we lived on the outside of town, now that area is inside of the town. Moron Air Base looks to be about the same as I remember, San Pablo the local part of the base near the housing area is completely different than as I remember it.

Wish I could take you up on the invitation, but health issues keeps me out of airplanes, and a long ship ride is out of the question. Dreams of the good old days are better kept as dreams than spoiled with today's reality.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Enjoy the memory of what you've experienced.
Best regards.
Félix

Disfruta de la memoria de lo que has vivido.
Saludos.
Félix
dogcatcher wrote:A while back I did a Google Earth of the area that I remembered the most. A lot of changes, we lived on the outside of town, now that area is inside of the town. Moron Air Base looks to be about the same as I remember, San Pablo the local part of the base near the housing area is completely different than as I remember it.

Wish I could take you up on the invitation, but health issues keeps me out of airplanes, and a long ship ride is out of the question. Dreams of the good old days are better kept as dreams than spoiled with today's reality.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Thank you, Master.
Best regards.
Félix

Gracias, maestro.
Saludos.
Félix
wdteipen wrote:Very nice.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Felix, this pipe have a beautiful shape. Congratulations!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

the rev wrote:Love the pipe, bizarre grain on that thing.

rev
interesting that a guy in longbeach was so into bullfighting. i was in spain about 50 km outside of malaga. one of the most beautiful places i have been. went to a bullring, but no fight. interesting sport, but very brutal
anyway nice pipe felix!
-evan
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

nice one - like it :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/