CW Prototype

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Literaryworkshop

CW Prototype

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I've just finished a churchwarden prototype. It was my first time drilling all the holes myself (instead of using a pre-drilled kit), so I decided to experiment with some cherry scraps before I started putting holes in good briar. It's not for smoking, really, just to see what I can do. This is only the sixth pipe I've made, so I'm still figuring out a few things. Critique is welcome (and probably inevitable). :?

The shape is something I've come up with myself, not strictly traditional but also not an obvious "freehand." I'm still deciding whether I like the shape or not.

Here are the rest of the pics:

And the close-ups of the bowl itself:

I already know I still need work on the stem-stummel transition. This is the best I can do with the pre-formed tenon on the stem. I won't be doing that any more.

A bit about my tools and work process, here. The holes are all drilled on a full-size drill press. The shaping is all done with a back saw, rasps, and files. Smoothing work is done with a card scraper and, of course, sandpaper. I really try to keep the sanding to a minimum, as I'm working indoors with no dust collection. The finish here is just a drying oil, no wax or anything. I will probably wax it later, once the oil dries, but for now I'm more concerned with getting the shape right.
- Steve S.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Re: CW Prototype

Post by bikedoctor »

What would you change to be more churchwardenish?

http://www.google.com/search?q=churchwa ... KmAgk1M%3A

I have to learn to post a pic from the iPad. Geeze.
Kevin
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

bikedoctor wrote:What would you change to be more churchwardenish?

http://www.google.com/search?q=churchwa ... KmAgk1M%3A

I have to learn to post a pic from the iPad. Geeze.
At least you've learned how to copy and paste. I'm about ready to chunk this thing out of the truck window.

Literary - I'd say that's a fine job for your first non-kit pipe. And all hand tooled shaping, too. Keep at it, look at pictures, read the forum and follow the advice of the pros here on the forum. You're not too many pipes away from some real gems.
Wallace
Literaryworkshop

Thanks, guys.

I'm thinking maybe a steeper angle on the stummel next time. I might also try for a more gradual bend in the stem. I bent only two thirds of it and used a form (a bucket) with about a 8" radius. I might use a more gradual bend along more of the stem next time. I've successfully used a 40-gallon trash can (about a 16" radius) as a form once before. I liked the result. The problem is getting the whole stem heated at the same time over my little candle. It just takes patience.
- Steve S.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Why wouldn't you smoke it? Hell, cherry wood smokes fine! No issues.
Literaryworkshop

That's good to know. It seems to have a lower flash point than briar, based on my unscientific experiments with burning cherry and briar scraps side-by-side in the barbecue grill.

I may just try to sell it instead. :)
- Steve S.