first pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
birba

first pipe

Post by birba »

is my first pipe. some of you might have read that I am making a pipe for my dad while he is making one for me.

I made this pipe from a reject pipe kit from Vermont Freehand after I had slaughtered two other blocks...
My dad smokes with 9mm filter, so I had to redrill the mortise, which is was a pain since my only electric tool was a drill press.
The stem is from Janzen pipes in Germany and came with a delrin tenon. I put that the tenon into the drill chuck and sanded it down to the final shape.

Overall, I am quite happy with it, although I wish I would've kept more wood on the bottom of the shank to make that transition smoother. Also, the bark seems kinda dull. I stained it black and put some carnauba snowflakes on top and buffed it. How can I get that a little more shiny without using shellac?
Last edited by birba on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlfaDog

Re: first pipe

Post by AlfaDog »

I think your dad will be thrilled with his new pipe. Be sure to post the one he is making, too. That's a very nice first attempt.
As for the top, you might could try some Minwax paste wax for wood. It's like the old Johnson's paste wax. Put it on extremely thin with a small brush, let it dry to a haze, and then polish with a toothbrush. It dries to a hard finish similar to carnauba, but is in paste form. It has a higher luster than carnauba, I sometimes use it over carnauba if I want a little more shine. Good job. Keep building, and keep posting.
birba

Post by birba »

thanks for the tip!
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

Awesome work on following the grain! That looks 100X better than my first pipe (and second...) :D
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

birba wrote:thanks for the tip!
Shoot, you taught me something. I always have a hard time staging a pipe for photos. That pipe cleaner is a good idea. I'm new at this, too. I think I've made 10 or 11 pipes so I learn something new everytime I visit this forum. It's a great reource and some great guys here too.

Oh, welcome to the forum!!! ( Forgot first time, sorry)
Wallace