First pipe: Billiard, criticism wanted!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Mats.B

First pipe: Billiard, criticism wanted!

Post by Mats.B »

Hi all!
My interest in pipes is rather new, infact it started this cristmas when i thougth about making a pipe for my father. The briar/ebonite/gear shippingtime took a month due to errors made by the mail, so i got time to do reserch during this time and i found myself more and more interesting in pipemaking! Now when the first pipe is done (way to late for cristmas!) i have spent many hours on this forum and pipedia etc. THANKS for all information!! Now i plan to do some more pipes, and i wish to be better. Perhaps so good that some day somewone would pay fore a pipe so that i dont have to smoke them all by my self! I would be very greatful if you would comment my pipe so can lern from it!

And plese excuse my spelling, i live in Sweden...

taharris

Re: First pipe: Billiard, criticism wanted!

Post by taharris »

That pipe looks pretty good to me.

I only have two minor comments.

Your bowl should taper in just slightly starting 1/3 of the way up the bowl.
Try to make your stem taper start right at the stem/shank junction.

Both of these are minor comments.

You have made a nice looking pipe.

Todd
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's your first pipe!

I quit! :banghead:

Seriously that is miles ahead of where most folks start. You obviously did your research.
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

That looks like a really nice first pipe! Congrats. I'm sure your dad really likes it.

P.S Skicka ett privat medelande om du vill utbyta lite tankar paa svenska :D D.S
UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

No criticism here since I still don't even have all the tools yet to start making pipes, but if my first pipe looks half as good as that I'm gonna be very happy!

That thing is sweet! Congrats :)
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
rijks

Post by rijks »

The bit could be more thin... anyway it's a damn good first pipe !

Best regards,
Patrick Rijks
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Två svenskar i den här tråden, inte dåligt :D
Det verkar som att du startade av samma anledning som mig, att göra en till farsan.
Ser väldigt bra ut för att vara din första pipa, mycket bra jobbat!

To everyone else, sorry for the swedish :D
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I would recommend you read the following study.
Best regards.
Félix

Me permito recomendarte la lectura del siguiente estudio.
Saludos.
Félix

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/arttuyauxroan.htm
Mats.B

Post by Mats.B »

Thank you for all the nice comments! And also for the advice! I will try to start the taper in line with the steam on my next pipe . Hopefully that will make it easier to do the bit thinner aswell. This was a problem for me. It was hard to go thinner on the bit without destroying the sweeping line of the whole pipe, if you understand what i mean..
How much material do you leave in the bit wall? I made the flat section of the smoke-tunnel 1.5mm(or 1/16 inch). Is thar to much?
After some reading i decided to make the smoke tunnel 4mm(5/32 inch). To keep laminar flow in the smoke tunnel i kept the cross section area the same over the flat part. therefor i would like to have 1.5mm hight on the smoke-tunnel instead of doing a very broad hole. That made me nervous when i made the outside of the steam close to the bit.. How do you guys solve this?

And for the taper on the bowl, should it be 1/3 of the whole height of the pipe or 1/3 of the height over the shaft?

W Best regards
Mats.B

Post by Mats.B »

maxmil wrote:I would recommend you read the following study.
Best regards.
Félix

Me permito recomendarte la lectura del siguiente estudio.
Saludos.
Félix

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/arttuyauxroan.htm
Thanks for the link. I seems realy interesting and i will read it with a little help from google translate..
Growley

Post by Growley »

It's really hard to critique this knowing it's your first pipe, because it's a really great first pipe. So, let's pretend you've been making pipes a while and this is your 15th pipe or so. With the button thickness already mentioned, I'd add that you don't typically want to stain the inside of the bowl. It looks like it is in a few of the pictures. Your stain looks good, but your polish could come up a bit.

There's really not much more I could add.

Great job!

Brian.
Mats.B

Post by Mats.B »

Growley wrote:It's really hard to critique this knowing it's your first pipe, because it's a really great first pipe. So, let's pretend you've been making pipes a while and this is your 15th pipe or so. With the button thickness already mentioned, I'd add that you don't typically want to stain the inside of the bowl. It looks like it is in a few of the pictures. Your stain looks good, but your polish could come up a bit.

There's really not much more I could add.

Great job!

Brian.
Thank´s Brian! The stain only goes as deep as shown in the pictures, from there on the tobacco chamber is just sanded. I will read up on the polishing. I finish with a 1200 grit paper before polish. Is that enough? wish to know if i lack in the sanding or the polishing or both...
meathod

Post by meathod »

This is an amazing first pipe, that is all.

Some people just have the touch, keep going with this craft!
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
jmoss

Post by jmoss »

Very good first pipe...How many hours did you spent?
Mats.B

Post by Mats.B »

Approx 30h of wich almost 10 h on the inside of the steam. I have made a fixture to drill the transition between the round and flat section. I hope this will reduce the time spent on the smoke canal to around 30 min instead... Hope it will work!