Ok, gents I will assume the position

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
the rev

Ok, gents I will assume the position

Post by the rev »

Let the pain begin

This pipe was loosely inspired by Gandalf, I want to play with this finish more. You can see more of the grain in real life.

ImageImageImageImageImage

This was for a friend of mine that has a quirky retro style that could be considered "dandy" I figured a traditional shape, with a bit of a twist was perfect for him.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

could not get great pictures last night. But here she is

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Re: Ok, gents I will assume the position

Post by d.huber »

The billiard looks the best of the three to my eyes. Overall, I think you need to focus on cleaning up your lines, tightening up your fit and finish, and improving the internal engineering on your stems.

Stem Internals:

1. Are you using preforms or cutting your own? If I had to guess, I'd say you're using altered preform stems. Either way, are you using a tapered drill bit to approach from the tenon end? If not, I'd recommend picking one up. It looks like a straight shot to the flared portion of the internals.
2. The flare looks pretty good on the first pipe, but it can be wider at the button and deeper in the stem on the billiard. I'd shoot for maybe a 1/4" deeper.

Lines:

On all three, the lines appear unclean and lumpy. The billiard has the cleanest lines, IMO. All of your lines should have continuity. Take a look at the image below.

The top line is continuous. The bottom line lacks flow because it has lumps and bumps. Aim to create lines that more closely resemble the top line and you'll dramatically improve the look of your pipes. Y'know, minus the pix-elation. ;)

Fit and Finish:

1. The pipe that most embodies the need for improvement in fit is your last pipe. The ring doesn't fit flush with the shank or the stem. Because this wasn't achieved before you buffed, the edges on the stem and shank curved inwards, which further hurt the lines of the pipe. It resembles a small ring on a fat finger.

2. The pipe that most embodies the need for improvement in finish is the billiard. The rustication looks fine, but sanding down the ridges you created gives the pipe a cheap look, IMO. It also looks like the dark stain didn't get all the way into the valleys of the rustication, which makes the finish look rushed.

That's my 2 cents. All of the stuff I mentioned is hard, so it's not something you should expect to nail right away. However, you'll notice a marked improvement in the look and smokeability of your pipes as you continue to work on these categories.

Keep pushing forward and before you know it, notes like these will be a thing of the past. :)

I hope this helps.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
the rev

Post by the rev »

The only pipe that used a preform stem was the white one, the others I did. I had a really hard time with that last pipe. I don't have a lathe so trying to shape to fit that band was so hard.

thanks for your time.

rev

UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

I love the Gandalf, Rev! Definitely my favourite :)
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

the rev wrote:The only pipe that used a preform stem was the white one, the others I did. I had a really hard time with that last pipe. I don't have a lathe so trying to shape to fit that band was so hard.

thanks for your time.

rev
ahhh yes... having at least some kind of a rotating device to use to at least preform the piece is certainly a lot of help...
i am using a homemade lathe for wood... the precision is bad but i stil manage to make precise pipes... so, no need to have it to precise or something... you might even be able to use a drillpress to do the job... just to have it rotating... to preshape them... :) :)
hehehehehe
anyway - great job and... keep working.. :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

What is the finish on the first pipe? I like the almost bone color.
the rev

Post by the rev »

I call it, dessert fossil, and I will be making more of them :)

rev