Number 7.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MonsieurLabo

Number 7.

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Limited time allows for a few number of pipes...But here is number 7. Delrin tenon, NYH cumberland (very dark stock).

Michael Labo
d.huber

Re: Number 7.

Post by d.huber »

Nice rhodie! You've seriously got some good stuff going on in this pipe.

In profile, your shank increases in size towards the stem. It's tough to get a totally rounded straight shank. Did you shape it on the lathe?

If the stem's taper began where it meets the shank, I think the overall look of the pipe in profile would improve.

Top and bottom views look great! I'd recommend using something other than a brad point bit for the chamber. I've done that myself, and quickly moved away from them. The circular divot on the chamber floor is undesirable.

Keep it up!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Is the stem hand cut? It looks like Brindle in certain shots. If you cut it by hand I think you did a very good job on the bit.

UberHuberManBroGuyDude covered most of the rest.
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the chamber bottom is a result of a modified spade bit (bugs me too). Close to the tip is a line left on the bit. I need to grind that out.

I did Turn this on my Taig. The shank is uniform in diameter. I sanded and sanded to remove a deep scratch by the top shank/bowl junction which resulted in a gully making the shank appear tapered.

Yes, the stem is hand cut with a Delrin tenon. NYH cumberland. Very dark rod stock, you have to look close in hand to see orange lines.

I wanted the stem to be a straight taper, inexperience this round.

Thanks for the feedback.
Michael Labo
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

I was able to fix the bottom of the chamber taping some sandpaper to the end of a delrin rod. Smooth transition to the bottom now. Very happy with the results.

And, I have sold my first pipe! :D
Michael Labo
the rev

Post by the rev »

congrats brother

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Good on ya!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Cory

Post by Cory »

I would look for sharper edges in a rhodesian like this. Gives it a cleaner look.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Cory wrote:I would look for sharper edges in a rhodesian like this. Gives it a cleaner look.
Sharper edges (angle) from the two rings to the bottom?

Thanks for the input.
Michael Labo
Cory

Post by Cory »

MonsieurLabo wrote:
Cory wrote:I would look for sharper edges in a rhodesian like this. Gives it a cleaner look.
Sharper edges (angle) from the two rings to the bottom?

Thanks for the input.
I was mainly referring the the edge between the top and side of the bowl. In the 5th picture you can see it looks like it got rounded over in sanding.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis