Yet another Newbie here

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
tommy24a

Yet another Newbie here

Post by tommy24a »

Hello all, just wanted to say hi and introduse myself. To say I am a newbie is an understatement in the pipe making sense. I have doing some turnings on my Jet mini lathe over the past cpl years on and off. I am a cigar smoker but recently got interested in pipes. I am sure I will have many questions down the road. As far as tools go I have a lathe (jet mini), sander, drill press, bandsaw, scroll saw and beal buffing system etc. Have not atempted to make a pipe yet. I guess the best thing would be to buy a kit to start with not? Looking forward to the adventure ahead. Hope to chat soon.

Tom
Allentown, PA
I play the bagpipes, heck when I started they said there were only 9 notes on a bagpipe. I said how hard can it be? lol
d.huber

Re: Yet another Newbie here

Post by d.huber »

Welcome to the forum, Tom! Sounds like you're well tooled up to start making some pipes.

Hope to see you posting and posting often! :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

Welcome Tommy. A kit is a great way to start in my opinion. It lets you focus on shaping. You've got some good tools already to get you started, so you're off to a good start.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Brian.
tommy24a

Post by tommy24a »

thank you guys!.....tried making one out of scrap wood....well lets just say it was not a pretty site...lol....I have much to learn!!!
I play the bagpipes, heck when I started they said there were only 9 notes on a bagpipe. I said how hard can it be? lol
longneckers

Post by longneckers »

welcome tommy

longneckers
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

If you have an addictive personality, I can only say BEWARE! :lol:

Welcome from another newbie/lurker/learner.
tommy24a

Post by tommy24a »

thank you all!... yea I can see me getting addictive to this...lol
Cory

Post by Cory »

I vote skip the kit if you have prior experience in turning/woodworking. I never used one and feel that it helped me advance quicker. Order a handful of briar blocks and some pre-form stems (or rod if you are brave) and get to making some pipes. Only way to get better is to make more and more and post them here so the pros can tear your pride and joy to pieces.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
tommy24a

Post by tommy24a »

:lol: good point!!....lol....