Introducing Dragonskin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DMI

Introducing Dragonskin

Post by DMI »

About a year ago I made the foolish comment that a dress black finish shouldn't be that hard to make, ha! I'm still trying, but I did come up with this chemical finish.

David.
W.Pastuch

Re: Introducing Dragonskin

Post by W.Pastuch »

Cool :)
It looks neat on these rough finishes, have you tried it as a smooth finish?
DMI

Post by DMI »

The pipes are sanded to 400grit before being treated, the roughness is part of the finish and the longer the briar is soaked the more dramatic the effect.

At it's most extreme it looks like this http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/6/8/5/ ... 8503_o.jpg
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Oh, even cooler then :)
The extreme version you linked looks really nice, imho the best of the ones you showed.
Good luck developing the techinque even further, just don't breathe the fumes too much :wink:
DMI

Post by DMI »

Fumes? what fumes, the bit that bothers me is the burns from lifting them out of the tank, I had been using the sugar tongs but the mrs' complained about them dissolving.

Seriously though there are minimal fumes and I use a fan to blow them out the window, silicon gloves and long sleeves in case of splashes because this stuff burns.

David