Pipe #9- "The Ugly" in progress

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
The Smoking Yeti

Pipe #9- "The Ugly" in progress

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

So lets keep it simple- higher grade smooth pipe develops some NASTY sandpits, I try to sand through them and lose the shape I was going for- I get annoyed and scrap the project, smoke the unfinished pipe, realize I love how it smokes, and decide to practice my rustication. Long story short, I decided to make this pipe look absolutely gothic and ugly. Here's what I've done so far, I'm not done yet, so don't critique my final finish too much :P

How do ya' like them apples?

My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Kenny

Re: Pipe #9- "The Ugly" in progress

Post by Kenny »

Whoa! I really like that! Looks awesome to me. I'd keep it for sure!

I've never seen anything quite like it, just a really neat pipe. I really do like that.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Looks great to me! those little rings on the shank bring the whole thing together. Good Job!
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I like everything except the deep grooves but I think you could use it as an opportunity to inlay something like turquoise or another wood or if you really wanted to go goth, make a trip to your local Halloween store and treat it like an ossuary: https://www.google.com/search?q=ossuary ... 33&bih=664
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Ironpenny

Post by Ironpenny »

I love it. It's like smoking an old, gnarled branch. But one that's got style.

How did you go about rusticating it if you don't mind me asking?

Chris
“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.”
Growley

Post by Growley »

Pretty interesting. Overall, it's a pretty cool pipe. You've done a good job with the accent rings and extension. I have to say that I like the rustication quite a bit, but I'm agreement with Hudson about the deep grooves.. I think the grooves are fine being deep, but they look too symmetrical. It would look more natural an gnarled if they were different shapes and sizes. The current shape gives it more of a "wave" look which contrasts the gnarly-ness...in my opinion.

Pretty cool though. What number is this for you?

Brian.
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

I actually really dig the deep grooves, they are even and look intentional. Gives it a unique look.
The Smoking Yeti

So growley, I understand what you mean about the symmetry on the grooves for sure. However, I was very intentional about the symmetry and I like it. To me it subtly harkens to gothic architecture, twisted and crazy albeit. I'll have to try a more random rustication on a scrap pipe at some point.

As far as how I achieved the rustication- I just used various fluted dremel cutting bits of different shapes and sizes.

Also- thanks for the complements on the shank extension and accent rings, I'm actually not even done with this pipe, so I'll sand the maple rings clean to hopefully get a better finish. I'm also planning on rusticating a bit more in places and adding a dark green and a lighter green stain, along with a few traces of red to really set it off.

The Smoking Yeti

oh and Brian, this is #9.

Growley

Post by Growley »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:oh and Brian, this is #9.
Thanks, I guess I couldn't tell from your cryptic thread title... :oops: Duh. I'm not sure I'm getting enough sleep these days...
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

LOVE the grooves. Looks like you're on your way to finishing your first Halloween pipe a few months early! ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:So growley, I understand what you mean about the symmetry on the grooves for sure. However, I was very intentional about the symmetry and I like it. To me it subtly harkens to gothic architecture, twisted and crazy albeit. I'll have to try a more random rustication on a scrap pipe at some point.
You might be interested in the work of Antoni Gaudi whose early work (late 19th c) was neo-gothic but later developed into a very individualistic, plastic approach contemporary with the art nouveau movement in France (Guimard) and Belgium (Horta) but had deep roots in Catalan culture:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gaudi&h ... 33&bih=664
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
Charl

Post by Charl »

I think that's cool!