Why's it called a "reverse calabash"?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Why's it called a "reverse calabash"?

Post by Tyler »

What's reverse about it?
e Markle

Re: Why's it called a "reverse calabash"?

Post by e Markle »

I believe it's a reference to the large, bored out chamber. Normally this holds the bowl itself, but on the "reverse" calabashes the chamber is on the stem side.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

e Markle wrote:I believe it's a reference to the large, bored out chamber. Normally this holds the bowl itself, but on the "reverse" calabashes the chamber is on the stem side.
Ok. Makes sense.

I was thinking about the path the smoke traveled, and couldn't figure out how it was any different than in a normal calabash. I wasn't thinking in terms of what part of the pipe the large chamber "held".
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hmm, actually didn't think of the "reverse" at all!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Tyler wrote:
e Markle wrote:I believe it's a reference to the large, bored out chamber. Normally this holds the bowl itself, but on the "reverse" calabashes the chamber is on the stem side.
Ok. Makes sense.

I was thinking about the path the smoke traveled, and couldn't figure out how it was any different than in a normal calabash. I wasn't thinking in terms of what part of the pipe the large chamber "held".
Well, I suppose it would be more apropos if you loaded tobacco in the stem, and drew through the chamber. However, since you call the front of the pipe the "back", maybe you already do that?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

e Markle wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Ok. Makes sense.

Well, I suppose it would be more apropos if you loaded tobacco in the stem, and drew through the chamber. However, since you call the front of the pipe the "back", maybe you already do that?
Don't knock it 'till you try it.
BJ Pipes

Post by BJ Pipes »

Just throwing this out there, how about a "reversable" calabash? you can put tobacco in either side and the stem has a universal fit for either side? :idea:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

BJ Pipes wrote:Just throwing this out there, how about a "reversable" calabash? you can put tobacco in either side and the stem has a universal fit for either side? :idea:

That would be weird.

Hope this helps. :)

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:
BJ Pipes wrote:Just throwing this out there, how about a "reversable" calabash? you can put tobacco in either side and the stem has a universal fit for either side? :idea:

That would be weird.

Hope this helps. :)

Rad
It always does, Rad. :notworthy:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Walle?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard