No Workshop- whats the best way?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
JLiberty

No Workshop- whats the best way?

Post by JLiberty »

I am in a bit of a predicament, I have absolutely no place to build a pipe! I have only made one pipe so far, but I really enjoyed it and feel like it would be a good hobby for me when I have the time. Unfortunately, I am living in a 2 room apartment right now with no garage or anything. I don't have a vice, which makes things a bit more difficult.

During the creation of my first pipe, I was at my parents house, and got to use a few tools. Now that I am out on my own and living near Charlotte, NC, I don't have those things anymore.

Before I buy a block of briar, is it even practical to try and make a pipe with nothing but an electric drill, hand saw, and some files? I REALLY want to work on something, and I know I don't really need loads of fancy equipment, but is my lack of even basic tools a big problem?

Does anyone know of any woodworking associations around Shelby, NC that I may be able to join and have a more seasoned veteran help me out?

Thanks,
Jacob
Ocelot55

Re: No Workshop- whats the best way?

Post by Ocelot55 »

Jacob,

I can sympathize. I manage a university residence hall and have no place to keep tools. Even so I have made over 25 pipes. I am very fortunate that my local tobacconist allows me to work in the back of his store. I have two power tools, a drill press and a hand drill. However the pimo guide shows how to rig up a jig that allows you to drill the chamber mortise and draft hole with nothing but a hand drill. You will need several vises and clamps and as many different files as possible. Other than some sandpaper and a sanding pad that you can attach to your drill, you need little else. I use the pimo tenon turner for stems.

If you absolutely cannot resist, I would suggest clamping your drill to your kitchen table. Most kitchens have wood, tile, or linoleum floors, making cleanup easier. In addition you will need a portable vacuum cleaner to run while you use the sanding pad and drill the holes.Use it kind of like a rudimentary dust collector. (this is only a go if you are a bachelor, trust me on this one)

In short you don't really need many tools to make a perfectly functional and beautiful pipe. Let me know what you work out.

Jesse
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I used the same setup for my first few pipes. Sandpaper, files, cordless drill, and a handsaw. It is possible, just extremely slow. You could buy more tools, but it will just help you ruin blocks faster. Start with what you have, and finish a few. If they turn out well you have the option to invest in a lathe and supporting accessories. Everything i have would fit into an 8' bench, so you dont really need a huge amount of space.
andrew

Post by andrew »

You can definitely make some pipes with the space you have. If you have a coping saw, files and sandpaper you can make perfectly smokable pipes from a kit. If you want to deal with stems and drilling your own mortise, then you should upgrade to an electric hand drill along with a few relatively inexpensive PIMO accessories. The polishing end of things can be a little tricky, but you can pull that off with the drill too. You just have to be careful. A vice will help quite a few things, and you don't need a big one. Mostly it will save the skin on your fingers from the saw and files. You can find just about anything you'll need starting out on PIMO's website. Good luck. Don't be afraid to ask questions.