First Two Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PhilipMarc

First Two Pipes

Post by PhilipMarc »

This is my first post on the forum, and these are the first two pipes I've completed. The true first ended up in the garbage can. We don't talk about that one. Both of these were made from scratch (not a pipe kit), but with premade stems as you can see. Critique is appreciated. I already have in mind a couple of things that I feel could improve but I'm open to more ideas! Thanks.

Philip Marc
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
Ocelot55

Re: First Two Pipes

Post by Ocelot55 »

Those are pretty nice Philip. I'm not sure if I'm qualified to do much critiquing, so I'll keep it brief.

You've got the basic shaping down. Now you need to work at refining the form. There is some slight waviness and irregularity that needs smoothed out.

For pipes 1& 2 that is really minor stuff. Keep making em. Practice makes perfect.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Those are looking pretty good, Philip.

The most noticeable thing is that the transition between the stem and shank isn't very smooth - are you finishing the pipe as a unit or in seperate pieces?

On the first pipe, the bowl droops below the shank - this would work if it was done smoothly as a curve that matched the stem, but in this case, it looks like a bit of an "oopsy". I would suggest that the stem is about 1/2" too long on that pipe.

Bottom pipe is shaped better - no drooping, harder lines. I like the proportions overall, but the bowl is probably a little big for the shank if you are shooting for "ordinary" proportions.

But your shaping and sanding look pretty good, and now you just dial things in over the next.... hundred or so!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

I shaped the stem and stummel as one piece on my sanding disc, but I am using 40 grit discs at 1725 rpm right now, which is very very aggressive, and hard to refine the shape with. I just ordered a 1-1/2" disc holder and some 120 grit discs for my flex shaft, and I think that should really help with the refining process.
Sasquatch, I see what you mean about the droopiness on the bowl of the dublin. I hadn't really noticed that before but it should have had a bit more material taken off the bottom of the bowl.

Thanks for the critiques! Keep em coming!
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
Growley

Post by Growley »

Great start Philip. Sas covered everything I would have caught and then some, but what he was asking you about how you're sanding the stummel was more directed at if you were sanding the stummel and stem together or apart. If you sand them apart the end of your shank will tend to curve inward creating a very slight area that doesn't match the stem. If you attach the stem early on in your sanding process you'll find that the two come together quite a bit more nicely.

Very nice work!

Brian.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The only other thing i would add is that performed stems don't have to look like preformed stems entirely. They do require some refining to look good. These could stand to be thinned down and the buttons refined. Nice pipes for sure for a second and third.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com