A few this week

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
HumblePipe

A few this week

Post by HumblePipe »

Here are some pipes I have made in the past week, I took Sas's advice and I am using delrin as a tenon but I still need to work on my connection from the stem. What I really need is some better tools and equipment, but I am trying to make due with what I do have. :thumbsup:

Growley

Re: A few this week

Post by Growley »

Those are pretty decent pipes. I tend to like the second shape the best. I'm just drawn to that style. You didn't ask for critique so ignore the rest of this reply if you don't want any. I'm just going to offer up something that I've been realizing lately that has really helped me out.

This critique is on your second pipe, but can apply to most normal pipes if not all.

Unless it was an artistic choice, I believe your pipe could be more enhanced if you were able to separate the shank from the bowl a bit more. You've got a nice "swoop" going from shank to bowl, but it doesn't highlight the shape of the bowl on the back side (stem side). When you're carving out your bowl, have you noticed that you're also carving out more stem in a lot of cases? It's like when you draw your pipe on the block you see this nice long stem, but when you cut it out at first it the stem gets shorter because you haven't shaped your bowl on the back side (stem side). Once you start cutting more briar back on the back side of the bowl essentially you start lengthening your stem...as you cut more bowl, you're also cutting more stem.

The transition from shank to stem can be tricky as you want the stem to look like a stem right up until it gets to the bowl. As your stem reaches what would be your bowl, you need to turn your stem into bowl so to speak. A billiard is a great shape to emphasize this point. So, as I'm shaping my pipe around the stem/shank area I'm thinking..."Am I shaping part of the stem, or part of the bowl?". I just did a billiard where this point really came clear to me (not that I've got it mastered). On one side it was obvious I thought I was still shaping the stem when I was actually into the official bowl space. What happened is I took the stem too far into the bowl and essentially put a crease where there should have been a more rounded bowl area.

This may be somewhat confusing as I'm not sure I'm describing it well, now when I'm shaping I try to remind myself, "Am I shaping stem or bowl at this point?".

Hope that helps some. Maybe some of the more experienced can elaborate or amend any areas where I may be misleading you here :)
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Great work. The stem on the first pipe looks just like one I just put on a pipe. Did you get it from PME?

As far as critique, I have only a few things to point out: on pipe one the stem still looks too long. A longer shank extension may solve that. On pipe number two (I think it's number two, the last 6 pic look like they are the same pipe, or at least very similar) the shaping looks great, but i think the rim is a bit thin. This shouldn't be a problem unless you smoke very full bowls.

It's very cool that you're using delrin at such an early stage. I would love to do some experimenting with it. Keep up the good work!
Growley

Post by Growley »

PS. Just noticed you have some CAO Eileen's Dream there. I really like that tin. Nobody around here sells it anymore. I've been a big fan of most of CAO's products both cigars and pipe.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Ocelot55 wrote:Great work. The stem on the first pipe looks just like one I just put on a pipe. Did you get it from PME?
Yes sir I did get it from PME :D
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Growley wrote:PS. Just noticed you have some CAO Eileen's Dream there. I really like that tin. Nobody around here sells it anymore. I've been a big fan of most of CAO's products both cigars and pipe.
First off, thanks for all of te great advice! I really appreciate what everyone tells me to make my pipes better, it really helps! And yes that CAO Eileen's Dream is fantastic! I am pretty sure I bought it online from Cup O' Joe's.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

HumblePipe wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:Great work. The stem on the first pipe looks just like one I just put on a pipe. Did you get it from PME?
Yes sir I did get it from PME :D
Check out my post in the gallery today. Same dang stem :mrgreen:

I bought about 6 dozen stems from PME to do replacements and to fit my own pipes. Since I don't have a lathe it would be difficult--but not impossible--for me to hand cut all my stems.