New nosewarmer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

New nosewarmer

Post by Growley »

Guys,

Here's my latest pipe. This has been my best mechanically built pipe to date. There were more things to deal with such as the ebonite ring, the acrylic extension and the hand shaped stem, but they all fit together really well. This was one of those pipes that was a pleasure to work on...except for when I basically had it done and my lathe bounced it off of my garage floor. After re-sanding and re-staining it though I think it turned out pretty well.

I would love to have your critique. Your opinions are very valuable to me. :D

Yes...my button is crooked...maybe next time :D

Alden

Re: New nosewarmer

Post by Alden »

I like it man, has some character!
If I can critique it from my perspective, I'd say you've made a really nice overall pipe. To me the shape is nice, the balance is there, the extension looks like it belongs, the shape of the stem compliments the pipe etc.
I'd say the corrections would be in the small details, like the button you already pointed out. The left and right sides of the stummel don't seem to mirror each other close enough. I could be an effect of the pics to some degree, but they still stand out as not quite symmetrical.
Your lines throughout the pipe should probably be crisper, I notice a bit of waviness in different places around the pipe.
Take my advice for what its worth, its probably better than anything I could crank out at this point :D
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Man, look at you! You're already getting fancy with your pipes...good job! Again, I don't critique (not yet) so I'll save some room for the folks that can add something of worth.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Edward wrote:I like it man, has some character!
If I can critique it from my perspective, I'd say you've made a really nice overall pipe. To me the shape is nice, the balance is there, the extension looks like it belongs, the shape of the stem compliments the pipe etc.
I'd say the corrections would be in the small details, like the button you already pointed out. The left and right sides of the stummel don't seem to mirror each other close enough. I could be an effect of the pics to some degree, but they still stand out as not quite symmetrical.
Your lines throughout the pipe should probably be crisper, I notice a bit of waviness in different places around the pipe.
Take my advice for what its worth, its probably better than anything I could crank out at this point :D

Thanks Edward. Help me understand what you mean by waviness. I'm not sure I follow what you're seeing. I'd like to see it too so I can make it better next time.

Thanks again.

Brian.
Alden

Post by Alden »

You know, after zooming in good on the pictures, I think its just bad lighting that I'm seeing.
The way the light is hitting from the side and blasting certain areas, leaving certain areas dark is giving the impression of waviness in the pipe.
Thats what you get for listening to critiques from a noob :)
Archer

Post by Archer »

Youve got to slow the hell down! Jerk! (I keed, I keed)

Is there a contest for this one?? Looks very cool! Don't you hate when your lathe becomes a lethal weapon?
Growley

Post by Growley »

Newcarver wrote:Youve got to slow the hell down! Jerk! (I keed, I keed)

Is there a contest for this one?? Looks very cool! Don't you hate when your lathe becomes a lethal weapon?
Ha, yeah, my sander just about did too. This pipe is fairly small and more than once I found out how much faster 60 grit sands knuckles then it does briar.

No, the contest was fun and all but I think I'm going to put this one out there for sale. Hit me up and make me an offer I can't refuse. At this rate I'm running out of briar too fast and could use to replenish it some.

Thanks for the compliments!

Brian.