Volcano

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
andrew

Volcano

Post by andrew »

Let me know what you think. The next thing to buy will be a blast rig....

I know what I'd like to change, but give me your take. Thanks.
wdteipen

Re: Volcano

Post by wdteipen »

Pretty nice, Andrew. I like the finish although I'm not sure how well it matches the Cumberland. The only other thing I see is that more briar could be removed on the front of the bowl to tighten up the shank/bowl transition. :wink:

EDIT: And if you did that, you'd need to pull in the cheeks at the bottom and side bowl/shank transition.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

FRONT, BACK, FRONT, BACK AHHHHHHH!!!

You realize I'm gonna have nightmares about this. I'll be smoking a pipe that will suddenly grow teeth, but I won't know if the teeth are in the front or back; in either case I'll drop it and run (or I'll hand it to someone who knows the difference :D ).

You have no idea how much grief that issue gave me. I sweated for quite a while before I decided to leave it the way it is. My thinking was this: I'd left a very gradual transition along the top line of the shank, I didn't feel good about defining the sides of the shank/bowl transition any more than I did because it might draw undue attention... but that may have completely backfired :banghead: .

Let's just say the color selection beginnings were very different from the end product... something a little darker may have been a better choice.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I absolutely love the bowl stain color though.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Damn, thats a pretty bottom... :wink:
Alden

Post by Alden »

I guess we need a discussion of which is actually the bottom, and which is the top of the pipe.
I've always thought of the part that faces up as the bottom.
It has to do with the height of midgets, but I'm too drunk to explain it properly.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Also, that is really nice finish work !
The Birdseye on Top looks amazing :D