Petite Billiard...I think..

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Petite Billiard...I think..

Post by Growley »

Well, I say "petite", but that's probably because as a newbie I tend to make bigger pipes. This billiard (I think it's a billiard) come in at just under 4.5 inches. The stem is hand cut ebonite with a mother of pearl acrylic accent ring. I've still got little work to do rounding off the stem, but now that I've promised to give it to a friend I'm a little nervous to do anything to it :?

I've also been told (post build) that one shouldn't put a ring on a tapered stem...at least the way I did it. And after doing it I can see why. I was just do darned excited to try the whole ring thing out...

Let me know what you think of it.

Brian.

Alden

Re: Petite Billiard...I think..

Post by Alden »

Wow thats a nice pipe.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Growley,

though it's not exactly a billiard - more like a cutty - I agree it's a nice pipe.
Congrats !

Regards, Jens
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Can't put a ring on a tapered stem? Damn. I didn't know that. I'll stop I guess. :lol:

You can do whatever the hell you want, but you have to do it WELL for it to work. In this case, it looks like the ring got sanded into a little dip on the stem so it draws the eye a bit.

Your basic idea is pretty billiardy, but for a real classic sort of Dunhilly shape, the shank length and the bowl height should be about the same, and the stem should be about half the pipe in total.

But you are getting there. I find the shank a little fat for the relatively thin walls of the bowl.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Archer

Post by Archer »

Imma go with cutty as well...man youre really getting that grain to show! What do you buff with? I guess Id better get busy, oh wait...briar hasnt come in the mail...oh well... :banghead:

Did you say you were doing this all without power tools?
Growley

Post by Growley »

Newcarver wrote:Imma go with cutty as well...man youre really getting that grain to show! What do you buff with? I guess Id better get busy, oh wait...briar hasnt come in the mail...oh well... :banghead:

No, I'm ALL power tools baby! I like the control and consistency a good power tool gives me for shaping. I do most of my fine tuning with sand paper in hand, but getting there I use all sorts of tools. Check out one of my first posts and you'll see how I got them... :cry: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6264&start=0

:Buffing: I'm still tying to figure out what I like best. I usually finish with red Tripoli and White diamond, but sometimes between the red and the white I'll try some sand paper from 1000 to 2000 grit. The grain is coming out more from the staining I'm doing then the sanding. I mean, it's both, but if I weren't staining it with a contrast stain approach it wouldn't show up as well even with a good buff. I think I'm going to eventually buy the Beal Buffing system. They take a lot of the guess work out of it.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Sasquatch wrote:Can't put a ring on a tapered stem? Damn. I didn't know that. I'll stop I guess...
Well, I should say, you shouldn't do it they way I did it. I don't think the ring should taper at all...and that's exactly what I did. I showed it to my brother-in-law and he asked me if the ring was tape.... Man, there's just something so refreshing about talking with you people who actually know about pipes. :thumbsup:
Archer

Post by Archer »

Growley wrote:
Newcarver wrote:Imma go with cutty as well...man youre really getting that grain to show! What do you buff with? I guess Id better get busy, oh wait...briar hasnt come in the mail...oh well... :banghead:

No, I'm ALL power tools baby! I like the control and consistency a good power tool gives me for shaping. I do most of my fine tuning with sand paper in hand, but getting there I use all sorts of tools. Check out one of my first posts and you'll see how I got them... :cry: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6264&start=0

:Buffing: I'm still tying to figure out what I like best. I usually finish with red Tripoli and White diamond, but sometimes between the red and the white I'll try some sand paper from 1000 to 2000 grit. The grain is coming out more from the staining I'm doing then the sanding. I mean, it's both, but if I weren't staining it with a contrast stain approach it wouldn't show up as well even with a good buff. I think I'm going to eventually buy the Beal Buffing system. They take a lot of the guess work out of it.

Wel dont ask me where I got that from then! Somebody here is doing it I know...

Dude...wow... :shock: ...I thought I had it bad...

I have all the goods too, more power (Tim Allen voice) argh argh argh...

My wife is mad cuz I drop a few hundred on some brair and stuff...your wife must hate you!! :D

Ok back to topic...The best grain I got was using Kurts suggestion of black stain, sand, stain, sand, etc. until smooth...then your choice stain on top after...

I use the bandsaw, barrel sander, sanding disk, and then a dowel and strips of varying grit to finish.

Sand to 400 for me so far...buff with tripoli, white d, and carnauba, then dry buff.

Ive been contemplating micro mesh as well...it works great on pens!
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Would you mind telling me how you did the ring? Did you apoxy the pieces together while it was a rod? Or is that ring an actual inlay? Very nice looking pipe. Looks to me like you really have the shaping down when it comes to the bowl. What kind of sanding disc do you use? I'm looking for something better myself. I'm just using the 5" sanding wheels you can buy at Home Depot and chucking it up in my lathe. It works okay but they don't run very true. Anyway, once again, I am very impressed.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
Growley

Post by Growley »

hawky454 wrote:Would you mind telling me how you did the ring? Did you apoxy the pieces together while it was a rod? Or is that ring an actual inlay? Very nice looking pipe. Looks to me like you really have the shaping down when it comes to the bowl. What kind of sanding disc do you use? I'm looking for something better myself. I'm just using the 5" sanding wheels you can buy at Home Depot and chucking it up in my lathe. It works okay but they don't run very true. Anyway, once again, I am very impressed.
(the ring) I've only done one of these so far. I know there are a few ways of doing them and I'm more than happy to share mine, but I'm a little concerned with littering this site with what could be bad information :D If you want I can detail it out in PM or if you're rather jump on a call I'd be more than happy to tell you how I do it.

(sanding disc) I put together a sort of sanding station. From Grizzly I bought a shop fox table top buffer, and a 1725 speed motor with a 2" pulley. This allows for one buff on each side. Then I took the shaft out of it and took it to a machine shop and had him drill out the ends to fit a 3M hook and look sanding disk. You can quickly change out discs or sanding pads with this setup. Here are some pics of my set up.

By the way, I got this idea from Rad. If it's good enough for him, it's more than I deserve :D

hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Very nice! Good set up ya got there. PM me when ya get the chance I would like to hear how you did the ring, at least it will give me some idea of how to go about it. Thanks for all your help bud. I really do appreciate it!
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
Gig

Post by Gig »

A great looking pipe, ring and all :)
Cheers from downunder