My first "Official" pipe.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

My first "Official" pipe.

Post by Growley »

Hey guys, I just finished my first official pipe. I say "official" because this is the first one I've completed from stem to stern so to speak. I had one prior that I finished, where I carved the pipe and bought a stem to complete it, and two others that broke on the lathe, so this is my first debut of a pipe that I've made in it's entirety.

The block size called for a long stem, so I took a shot at a Lavat. There are still things I'd like to change on it, but I decided to wrap it up and start on a new one.

I've got really thick skin when it comes to constructive criticism, so feel free to hammer away at it. Your thoughts and expertise are very much appreciated.

Thanks for taking a look.

Brian.

I think this is a better shot of the bamboo than the pipe, but I'm not much of a photographer....

There it is, have at it. I can't wait to get your feedback on it.
Alden

Re: My first "Official" pipe.

Post by Alden »

Wow I think its really good, but I'm a pipesmoker not a pipemaker yet.
The lines look great, really smooth, good proportions. The mouthpiece looks really comfortable, but I would be worried it gets a little too thin.
I'm studying the pictures, really trying to find something wrong with it and I cant, other than the thin point in the stem.
Perhaps a more critical eye can find more.
andrew

Post by andrew »

This reminds me of a Dunhill 142 with the bowl cant/height (minus the tapered stem and longer shank). I'm particularly fond of this shape. I like the light finish. I'll let the resident experts slap me around if I'm wrong, but the stem taper appears reversed at the button. Looks like it would be uncomfortable. Overall I like it quite a bit, but I'm new so take my comments for what they're worth. I would have been very proud if this was my first "official" pipe. My first pipe was barely identifiable as being made from briar by the time I was done with it :lol: .
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Bowl shaping is good, shank shaping also good. Proportions are nice, maybe could be a touch longer on the stem. Finish also looks good to me. The only think I dont like is the shape of the mouthpiece especially around the button, I just prefer the more classic style. Other than that I think it is a pipe you be proud of :)
Growley

Post by Growley »

Thanks for the response. Yeah, the stem....I rushed it :) I actually wanted to put in a white insert on it and didn't have the right materials. There is a conference I'm going to tomorrow and I wanted to take this pipe with me. I plan on trying to make a better stem with the insert for it at some point.

Smoking it right now actually for the first time. So far so good.

Thanks again.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Brian

I think it looks really nice..and the color is good... proportions good except for the mouthpiece.. but you already mentioned that

james
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

As you're starting, and you do it right, I suggest you read the following article.
Best regards.
Félix

Como estás empezando, y lo haces bien, te aconsejo que leas el siguiente artículo.
Saludos.
Félix

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/arttuyauxroan.htm
Growley

Post by Growley »

That looks like a great article! What great information. I can't wait to try it out on my next stem.

I appreciate you taking the time to send it.

Brian.
maxmil wrote:As you're starting, and you do it right, I suggest you read the following article.
Best regards.
Félix

Como estás empezando, y lo haces bien, te aconsejo que leas el siguiente artículo.
Saludos.
Félix

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/arttuyauxroan.htm