Last Two for the Summer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Last Two for the Summer

Post by NathanA »

Now that school has started my pipe time is severely limited. Here are the last two I was able to complete. The first is some random shape I came up with. The blast didn't show any ring grain but it did show a lot of cool details. The second is my attempt at a volcano. Man, that's a hard shape! The inlay is genuine Ernie Markle Bull Horn. Love to hear your thoughts as I was way out of my comfort level on these two.

Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Sasquatch

Re: Last Two for the Summer

Post by Sasquatch »

The volcano is excellent. I'm not as fond of the first one, but I don't know why yet. I'll ponder and have a few glasses of Glenturret. I shall return with a poor impression of a Scottish accent and probably chocolate chip cookie crumbs in my beard, but I'll be suitably glib, and more able to offer pontification.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Sasquatch wrote: I shall return with a poor impression of a Scottish accent and probably chocolate chip cookie crumbs in my beard, but I'll be suitably glib, and more able to offer pontification.
Pontification is better proffered than offered. :P

I like both pipes. Very nicely done.

Rad
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm not as fond of the first one, but I don't know why yet. I'll ponder and have a few glasses of Glenturret. I shall return with a poor impression of a Scottish accent and probably chocolate chip cookie crumbs in my beard, but I'll be suitably glib, and more able to offer pontification.
Todd,
I will be doing the same (minus the beard) and anxiously waiting on your pontification. :D
RadDavis wrote:I like both pipes. Very nicely done.

Rad
Rad,
I might be entering the stalker zone here but I sure love getting your feedback. Every time I get a positive word my wife has to ask me to wipe that silly grin off my face for hours afterward.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Eh, rrrrrrrright then, Laddie, Ah still seh the volcenno thingy is grreat, ya ken? A rrright crrrackerr it is, aye.

The Black One's still ugly though, and Ah've two prroblehms w'it. It's sorrrt of a Cobrrra, right, with this wee flatty sort of thing on the backside, but it's no a prroperr Cobrra, izzit? Just kinda flatty like with hard straight edges wut dinnae even have a caerrve, ya ken?

And the stem's got kind of a flatty bit in i's own rright, neither up nor doon she curves for a grret long while, and it's a terrrrible shame.

But, eh, I'll give ye 3 quid for it.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I really like the rim on the volcano - it's soft and melty, and it gives the piece a relaxed feel without being sloppy.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I like that volcano. It's your own take on the shape, and I think it's successful. For some reason it looks very German/Austrian to me. It has clean, precise lines, and it's well executed - good work!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I can only say one thing about that Volcano........... "Wow" I'd love to have that one in my collection of Volcanos.

Very nice job on it indeed!
Pipe Maker in the Making!
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Thank you , everyone. I appreciate the input. It is always nice to hear that you are taking steps in the right direction.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

NathanA wrote:Thank you , everyone. I appreciate the input. It is always nice to hear that you are taking steps in the right direction.
Not so fast, NathanA, everyone has not spoken. In my opinion you should definitely keep working in this, "out of your comfort zone." Nothing easy comes good, uh, I mean, nothing gooey comes easy, uh, one more try...Nothing Good Comes Essay"
Forget about it. :lol:
I like both of your pipes, and I can't find anything wrong with either.
Nay, they're so nice, you don't even think about what is wrong, but what is right about them.
M.M.
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

I really like the volcano. Excellent!
Michael Labo