getting slightly impatient

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Massis

getting slightly impatient

Post by Massis »

Last year I tried my first hand at pipecarving with a pre drilled block. I greatly enjoyed myself, and decided this was going to be my new hobby. Since my previous hobby was building vivaria and aquaria I was quite sure I would enjoy this for quite some time (I've always enjoyed using powertools and working with my hands) and thus I started preparing for a decent workshop. Heck, I even got my wife to put "has enough room for a decent workshop" on her requirements list for our new house!

I saved for over a year, meanwhile considering which things were the most important to get first and which things I could get later on (such as a lathe).

Some months ago I made my first purchases: a drill press and a second-hand bandsaw.
This month it was finally time to make "the big purchase" and buy ALL the other stuff I needed to get started (briar, drill bits, buffing motor, sanding wheel, buffing wheels, some more stains and some more stuff). Thank you PIMO, Tim West @ JHLowe and Jaume Hom.

I spent my entire saved up funds buying all the stuff I need.
And now that I'm basicly broke, I realised I forgot some crucial things: acrylic rod, delrin rod & epoxy.
And ofcourse you can't shape a pipe completely until it has a stem (I learned that the hard way by sanding my first kit without the stem attached...). Buying molded stems is no use either since I'd still need the delrin & epoxy to make them fit (or a tenon turner) and I'd need to buy them internationally so shipping costs would add up quite fast.

So now I'm gonna have to save up for another 2 months before I can finally get started, with all these nice things standing there in my workshop staring at me, shouting "use us!".

Thus: I'm getting slightly impatient and needed to post a rant on this forum. I'll come bother you with silly beginners questions some more in a few months time when I finally get to it.

(In case you're wondering why some acrylic and some delrin is such a big expense: I also got married, moved houses and am in the middle of a huge renovation, all of which cost quite a bit of money....)
Charl

Re: getting slightly impatient

Post by Charl »

:lol: Ha! Know what that feels like!
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

Well, that's whatchya get for getting married! :wink:
Massis

Post by Massis »

JeremyV wrote:Well, that's whatchya get for getting married! :wink:
You mean the option to buy a house and actually have a workshop? I know, that's why I did it!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Being married is great. Congrats. In the meantime, just drill it with the press and start pushing a rasp....slowly, and then some files.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad