Cherrywood

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
andrew

Cherrywood

Post by andrew »

[new edit here, I love this pipe. It smokes, dry, cool and quiet. I couldn't ask for more. I'm sitting here enjoying some chelsea morning and watching the moon rise. The kids are in bed and all is quiet. Good day. I'm typing this from my back porch. Bugs are being attracted to the light from the screen so all of you have a great night. This pipe is no longer a discouragement. It's a little blessing in disguise. As always, feedback is appreciated. Take care.

The pipe is a little shorter than I planned. There should be another 1/8" to 3/16" on the bottom. It barely sits flat without that extra weight.
The shank/stem sides are not perfectly straight. The redheart is really soft stuff.
There is a small rise on the back/right of the bowl near the shank. I didn't catch it until picture time.
Please forgive the stem work. Like I said, I couldn't bring myself to finish it last night.

Last edited by andrew on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SchmidtN

Re: Cherrywood

Post by SchmidtN »

Very nice pipe, too bad about the pit. :(
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like the bowl and shank shape and angle and agree that it needs a bit more on the bottom of the bowl. You might also consider shortening the redheart a touch to balance things out a bit. Pretty solid work overall on the stummel.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

I wasn't sure which part of the stem/shank should be shortened. I could tell it was out of balance, but taking the length out of the redheart would be the best choice.
frazeeg

Post by frazeeg »

Seems like you did the best you could with what the briar was giving you. Kudos for that.

Glad you can still enjoy it for yourself. One of the perks of a not-quite-sellable pipe :)
-=Pride is not a sin=-