Bull Moose!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
taharris

Bull Moose!

Post by taharris »

My first commissioned pipe! :D A big stubby pipe for a BIG guy.

I'm not usually a fan of stubby pipes, but I love the Bull Dog family and the longer I worked on this pipe the more I began to like this shape.

Thanks for looking and, as always, I welcome your constructive criticism.

Todd

baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Bull Moose!

Post by baweaverpipes »

With the grain being extremely bland, possibly a contrast stain might have helped, with the first stain being dark. That would have matched well with the stem. That's my humbled opinion.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Actually, I did use a contrasting dye for the base coat. I used a bright red and then overlaid with a honey brown.

The red didn't show up quite as much as I wanted, but I did manage to enhance the grain a little.

My photographic skills suck.

The grain isn't consistent all the way around, but there is a nice birds eye on the top of the bowl that didn't show up well in the pictures.

All that said, you are correct. I should probably start investing in better cuts of wood if I am going to sell pipes.

Thanks for the input Bruce.

Todd
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Especially on a bulldoggy type shape - in a sense there's no excuse for not having bird on the rim and a nice v-shaped grain on the bowl. And buying briar that will allow that is not way more expensive in any event.

Symmetry looks pretty good, button looks comfortable. I'm not keen on bending the stem past the plane of the top of the bowl (in fact I'm not sure if the stummel has any angle on it or not, but a guy could argue that this is a bent stem on a straight pipe). Could be the photos but the stem looks wider than the shank as viewed from the top or bottom. This is a bit of a no-no - gives the stem kind of a pudgy look.

But it's definitely in the family you were shooting for, and has the overall compact hugeness that a bullmoose ought.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Taspiper

Post by Taspiper »

Airway is off centre a tad? Hey but I'm just anal.
Exciting to get a commission for the first time, I know I was, well done Todd.
Cheers Rolf.

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
taharris

Post by taharris »

Good comments guys, and thanks for the input.
Taspiper wrote:Airway is off centre a tad? Hey but I'm just anal.
Yes, the draft hole is just slightly off :banghead:.
(You're not anal, attention to detail is what separates a good pipe from a great pipe.)

One thing I forgot to mention is that I used a derlin tenon for this pipe and found it to be a very nice material to work with. I will be using derlin in the future. Thanks, Kirt, for putting the derlin tutorial on the forum.

The only issue I had with the derlin is that I found the tenon to flex a little but too much to do much refining of the stem while inserted into the stemel and turning on my wood lathe.

Todd
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@taharris

Nicely done.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Thanks Boekweg.