Please don't laugh

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
taharris

Please don't laugh

Post by taharris »

I just finished this bent Dublin. This is my first shot at making a stem from rod stock. (Sas, I hope you're happy :P ).

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

I wanted to leave the top of the bowl natural and I thought it would be fun for it to be tilted a little. Do you think this works?

Also, the stem started to pinch at the draw hole when I bent it. I may need to make a new stem.

maxmil

Re: Please don't laugh

Post by maxmil »

Nice and classic.
Best regards.
Félix

Bonita, y clásica.
Saludos.
Félix
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Very good use of grain! I have no constructive feedback (at least based on pictures) on the pipe as a whole. It's well proportioned, the flow is very good, and overall shows that you really payed attention (whether you know it or not). I especially like the shank extension - it's just the right length, shape, and color for this pipe. The tilted plateaux top is perfectly acceptable. Most pipes with a natural top like that will be slightly uneven, and it is a fun way to add a bit of playfulness to the piece. It lets you adda bit of asymmetry without going overboard as well.

Now, I DO have some feedback on the stem in particular. The inside of the flare (the part near the shank) is well done, but using a convex shape on the other side is in conflict. I would rather see that be concave as well. Moving up to the tapered part of the stem when seen from the top or bottom, it start out convex then goes into a taper. This feels a bit clumsy and gives that whole area of the stem a bit of a lumpy feel. If you make that entire area, when viewed from bottom or top, slightly concave in taper, it would look much, much better. Lets see if I can create a sasquatch-style rendering...
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Also, the stem started to pinch at the draw hole when I bent it. I may need to make a new stem.
Not at all... Heat it back up until it straightens out. Slide 1 or 2 pipe cleaners into the stem and re-bend it.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Kurt, Stem work is to be indicated with yellow lines, please! This is all about method. :lol: :lol:

I agree with that comment about the shape on the stem - too wide for too long - reminds a guy of those purple tongue pieces that connected Hot-Wheels track. The button looks a bit tall for best comfort, and the stem is quite possibly bent a few degrees too much. There are a couple reasons I would say this: first, the angle of the stem vs the angle of the to of the bowl, and second, if I wanted to get very fussy about this, the stummel strikes me as having no curve at all in the shank, it's angled up but not curved, and the stem is nothing BUT curve, and that's a juxtaposition that doesn't work real well for my tastes.

But other than that for a first-go handcut stem, that's wonderful.

The bowl is nicely shaped - good definition between it and the shank, yet maintaining some grace in the shank and in the transition between. Overall this pipe reminds a guy of a Stanwell, so it can't be a total write off.

Good stuff Todd.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
taharris

Post by taharris »

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the constructive comments.

It is good to know what I did wrong and what (if anything) I did right.

Sas told me once that if I wanted to become a good pipe maker I must learn to make my own stems because that would force me to see the stem as part of the artistic whole. I certainly did spend much more time working on the stem than I usually do. And even though I didn't get it quite right ("purple tongue piece"!! :oops: ) I did learn a lot in the process. What I didn't tell you is that the first stem I made for this pipe was even worse. Hopefully the next one I make will be better because of Sas and Kurt's comments.

Thanks for your help guys.

And Kkendall, thanks for the tip!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It is hard. Period. You start with a chunk of formless rubber and you need to convert it to a perfectly engineered piece of functional art. And we've all been there. Three hours of hard work and when you're done.... "Why is this thing STILL UGLY???" LOL
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

Laugh? Not at all!!

I think it's a very nice looking pipe. I do agree with the previous statements about the stem though.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice looking pipe. Good advice has already been given and I agree with it. Keep at it with the handcut stems. It gets easier with experience just like shaping stummels.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

NIce grain on that sucka Todd! Nice work, look forward to seeing future stems. :D