My Second Pipe - Texas Ebony

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JeremyV

My Second Pipe - Texas Ebony

Post by JeremyV »

My nephew has been staying with us while going to flight school and had mentioned several times wanting to learn to make and smoke pipes. One day a couple of weeks ago, I headed to the shop with him, found the hardest piece of wood I had at the time (which was Texas ebony) and we made him a pipe together. He did most of the work....I just gave him some pointers on the use of the tools. I'd like to post pictures of it, but I'll leave that up to him.

I still don't know how well Texas ebony is going to be for smoking long term, but we've smoked it a few times and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

I have some briar on order, but I got antsy and decided to make another from the same block as his keeping in mind a few lessons learned from the first one. I'll find out how it smokes tonight.

I'm completely new to both pipe making and smoking, so I'm completely open to critique.

smokindawg

Re: My Second Pipe - Texas Ebony

Post by smokindawg »

Pretty good job for a second pipe........... Keep up the work if you enjoy it and you'll continue to get better with each pipe.

I like the coloring of that wood. Never heard of it, but I'd not mind getting hold of a bit for playing round with.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

nice colour on the second picture :) like it.... :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

Thanks fellas.

I have been enjoying it and am anxious for the briar to arrive. Nick (my nephew) and I have penciled out several designs. I just have to be careful to not forget my knife customers. :wink:

SmokinDawg, Texas Ebony can be found all along the Rio Grande Valley. Though its not quite as dense as mesquite or ironwood, it has a beautiful grain IMO. Lot's of wood shops around here carry it. I smoked it last night and really enjoyed it. The draw is still a little more than I care for (1/8"), but it was a very cool smoke with just a light hint of the flavor of the ebony.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

great news Jeremy - congratulations... :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Pardon my intrution, but when you use wood to smoke tobacco from, dosnt it have to be cured from sap's and things like that?
just wondering.

Nice pipe! I love the the "not average" look. :D

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Boekweg on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

I'm not an expert on the subject, so I can't answer "have to cure". The bean from the tree is sometimes used as a coffee replacement, so I doubt there is anything in it that would hurt. It has a nice flavor. Now if it was a pine tree....
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A very original pipe.
Best regards.
Félix

Una pipa muy original.
Saludos.
Félix