new pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

new pipe

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

here is my latest pipe. I picked-up some super small blocks with my last order, so I have a few more short fatties on the way. This pipe is actually natural, just an very dark block with wax finish. It has the usual sandpits and a sand crater. i had a lot of trouble defining the transition on such a large shank. It still looks clunky from the bottom view. adjusted the camera,obtained a more even shine, and made my first attempt at handcutting ebonite. I couldnt figure out how to make a crisp button, ive been buffing them into an ugly oval. any comments are welcome, as well as tips on the button. thanks

mredmond
Site Supporter

new pipe

Post by mredmond »

I kept rounding all the edges off the button at first, too. I've found that spending more time making sure you sand all the scratches out means you don't have to buff as vigorously, which will help with keeping the edges crisp.

Micah
Sasquatch

Re: new pipe

Post by Sasquatch »

You can buff up the rest of the stem and actually leave the button basically uncut and unfinished till the very end. So you can polish the hell out of the stem without rounding off the button. File it down and polish it right at the end, and it all works out.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A very special Chubby.
I think you should work more the lip of the mouthpiece.
Best regards.
Félix

Una Chubby muy especial.
Opino que deberías de trabajar mas el labio de la boquilla.
Saludos.
Félix

Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

thanks sas, I will try your approach on the next stem. I guess everyone starts out without a clear idea on button shape, and develops their own style. This was my first serious attempt at cutting the slot and button, I hacked at the first two I made and got lucky they were anywhere close to button shaped. I have seen buttons that are beveled toward the stem, buttons that were cut flat on both sides, or shaped like a football, I looked at some dunhills yesterday that looked wayyyyyy to big. Just couldnt decide how to attack it. I agree with max, my stems need alot of help. But im learning. Once I am comfortable with all aspects of straight pipes, I will venture into the world of bents. That should make sas happy. He is probably tired of seeing straight bulldogs!
thanks for the help guys
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice pipe you have made there. :thumbsup:
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

An interesting study of mouthpieces.
Best regards.
Félix

Un interesante estudio sobre boquillas.
Saudos.
Félix

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/arttuyauxroan.htm

fuchi_jeg wrote:thanks sas, I will try your approach on the next stem. I guess everyone starts out without a clear idea on button shape, and develops their own style. This was my first serious attempt at cutting the slot and button, I hacked at the first two I made and got lucky they were anywhere close to button shaped. I have seen buttons that are beveled toward the stem, buttons that were cut flat on both sides, or shaped like a football, I looked at some dunhills yesterday that looked wayyyyyy to big. Just couldnt decide how to attack it. I agree with max, my stems need alot of help. But im learning. Once I am comfortable with all aspects of straight pipes, I will venture into the world of bents. That should make sas happy. He is probably tired of seeing straight bulldogs!
thanks for the help guys
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Todd makes a good point there, if it were me I would rough out the button and finish to makye 150 grit, then buff the rest of the stem before going back and doing final sahping etc. As for myself I purposely leave the button slightly larger and with sharper edges than i want, same for the sides also. Then I know that by the time I have been through the two buffs they will have smoothed it all out and taken off the excess material.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

As if you ever thought of that yourself, Chris. "Er, uh, yeah. Um, that's what I do too." :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

fuchi_jeg wrote:...I guess everyone starts out without a clear idea on button shape, and develops their own style. ... ...Just couldnt decide how to attack it.
The button is the strangest thing. It looks different from different angles, and it's almost imposible to draw it on paper. I think your idea is close, when you said you couldn't decide how to attack it...that's it...you just attack it. I practiced on cheap wooden dowels, at first.
Now, I draw some guide lines on the end and on the side of the stem and then rough shape it on a 3" diameter x 1" thick Drum Sander with 60 grit. Then I fine shape it with a fine flat metal file, by hand.