Bent Egg

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LAH

Bent Egg

Post by LAH »

Here's my latest. Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Abe
ImageImageImageImage
Charl

Re: Bent Egg

Post by Charl »

Lovely grain. Seems to be a well made pipe. Something on the shank, especialy on the photo of the bottom, seems off though.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Beautiful pipe. My only critique is that maybe the shank should be thinned out a bit (from looking at the profile picture) on the top and maybe you could have kept just a bit more on the heel of the bowl. It really is a great looking pipe, though.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Nate

Post by Nate »

Boy I'm in agreement Abe, nice work! Beautiful grain, and well oriented with a great finish. I have two thoughts. First, it seems as though you could remove more off the top of the shank by the bowl transition. But in thinking about it, I'm not certain about the drilling, so you may not have been able to work that. I think that would give the pipe a little more elegance. Second, the angle of departure of the stem off the saddle seems a bit steep and well angular, but it is hard to tell because of the shadows. Two very insignificant thoughts on a nicely made pipe.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Wow! I love the grain and stain on this pipe! How did you get that "tigers eye" stain :?:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

There's just not a whole lot to critique on that pipe, at least from pictures on the Internet. Nicely done!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Absolutely beautiful work.

J
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Beautiful pipe. I would call the shape a brandy though. I like the shank/bowl transition as it is. The bit appears in the photo like it could stand to be a little thinner. The only other thing I see is that the front cheeks of the bowl look like they could be rounded a bit more forward to better match the bowl's heel but I think the shape works as is. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LAH

Post by LAH »

Charl,
I do agree with you about the shank. There is a slight unevenness near the shank, bowl transition.

JMG,
I couldn't do much about the shank thickness, due to the draught hole angle. On the next pipe like this, I think I'm going to change some of the drilling angles.

Nate,
My mortise angle is alittle off with the flow of the shank. That might be why the stem seems a bit off.

Boekweg,
I had mixed cordovan and yellow stain together. I have no idea what kind of ratios the mix is. I just used a scrap piece of briar to test the stain on till I was happy with the results.

Kurt,
I'm sure in real life a seasoned pipe maker like yourself could pick it apart.

Humble Pie,
Thanks.

Wdteipen,
I wasn't quite sure what to call it. I think it kinda tastes like brandy with a dash of egg. I still haven't found that line of when a stem is just thin enough, and I'm kinda nervous about it being too thin. I do agree with you on rounding over the cheeks more, now that you had pointed it out, I think it would be a great improvement on the flow of the pipe.

Thanks guys for your thoughts on the pipe. I'm amazed how much I learn with each new pipe. Now on to the next steppingstone. :D

Abe
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

My first thought was Brandy, but I see what you mean. It is egg shaped, too.
Very nice work whatever you call it.
...I agree with critique of the stem angle, although minor, marginal problem, posibly.
I like the shaping of the shank and stem, bowl, bowl rim, grain, color...looks great.
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi Abe,
A ripe looking pipe were the shank beautifully underlines the oval bowl of the pipe and the grain is a wishes Tiger!

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
LAH

Post by LAH »

Thanks Mike.
LAH

Post by LAH »

Thanks Abi.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Beautiful pipe! Very nice shaping and beautiful grain! Nice job! :thumbsup:
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com