My Two for April

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NathanA
Site Supporter

My Two for April

Post by NathanA »

Because of my limited time and tendency to ignore my responsibilities and focus on my hobbies, I am limiting myself to two pipes a month. I got a big jump on April and already finished two. What am I gonna do for three weeks?

The first is another billiard, but I tried a different rustication technique. I really like it but I feel like it took away from the sharpness of the shaping of the billiard, of which I was pretty proud. There is a spot on the rim that I over-buffed and need to touch up.

The second is a dublin with a Rad-inspired swoop. I was hoping to leave it smooth but you know how it goes. The inlay is spalted tamarind and I probably overstepped my skill set with this stem. I'm sure it could be whipped out pretty easily on a lathe, but it took forever with sanding discs and files.

As always, I look forward to brutally honest critique. Thanks everyone.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: My Two for April

Post by baweaverpipes »

This is simply an observation.
On the second pipe, subtleties enhance a pipe. On the stem, the wafer should have been very thin and the saddle correspondingly the same.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

baweaverpipes wrote:This is simply an observation.
On the second pipe, subtleties enhance a pipe. On the stem, the wafer should have been very thin and the saddle correspondingly the same.
Thanks for the input Bruce. I am working with less-than-delicate tooling so I get a little nervous trying to make things too wafer thin and delicate. But I am getting better with the tools I do have so I will give that a shot on the next one. Seeing as this is the first of my pipes you have commented on, it makes me feel like I am at least headed in the right direction. At least this one made the radar a little bit. :)
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

@ Nathan A

You made some very nice pipes there.

Your pipe crafting skills are very good.