cherrywood

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bregolad

cherrywood

Post by bregolad »

This was the first in a batch from jaume hom. a tester pipe.

I don't particularly like the way it turned out: the stem is too short, the shaping is a little tentative.
anywho, please let me know what you think :)

J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
JMG

Re: cherrywood

Post by JMG »

I'm sure their will be some proper critiques coming, but I actually like it. It has a very organic feel about it. Not exactly precise shaping, but again...I think that adds to its "organicness." :lol:
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
crichton

Post by crichton »

I'm hardly in a position to critique, but I really like it a lot. This is a very good example of what I like in "hand made" pipes - very unique, stylish and natural. You didn't try to hide the flaws or fill them. I'd buy it! :D
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

thanks guys.
@crichton: That actually means alot, since I'm having a somewhat difficult time finding people who actually interested in buying pipes in general.

as for the "organic-ness," I too like the shape of this pipe in that respect, but I hesitate to say it was intentional, because I think a lot of mediocre shaping gets passed off as "organic." I know it was a compliment, though, and I'll take it :)
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

... i am not an expert here to take as a reference so take my comment not so seriously...
on the first picture, when i am looking at the bowl from the bottom to the top... it opens until you reach the shank... then it closes itself 'till it reaches the top (from what i can see)... it would be better to keep the flow uniform - either opening it or closing it or something... this is a bit strange to me.
also, when i am looking at the mouthpiece - the saddle seems not to be well defined - in my opinion it is better to either have an edge on the saddle or to have it smoother - here there are both elements... sharp edge and on some parts it is not so sharp... after the saddle, towards the bit - the mouthpiece is thinner, then it gets a bit more fat and than towards the bit it gets thinner (from what i can see)... it would be better in my opinion, if this would also go uniform from thicker to thinner...
not sure if all this i have said above is just a matter of my taste but this is what i would like better ... the shape idea is nice, also the mothpiece is shinning really nice..
hope my comments are not to much serious... best regards
daniel
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hi bregolad,
I can recognize in the root of this pipe some very good shaping and the overall composition is going also good in the basic idea, but i also agree on Danijel's statement, the impression it gives is that you did not decide to go all the way and so the shape is left in between.
The base could take some resizing and narrowing down so under a less step standing angle you would have a Poker shaped pipe.

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Walle

Post by Walle »

And I think: It's o.k. as it is!

It's balancing very delcately on its toe, the asymmetrical saddle/stem matches the natural appearance of the entire pipe, not even the "scars" are annoying, because they go together well with the bark on top of bowl and shank.
This pipe represents the nature-like idea behind the cherrywood-shape perfectly. Broken branch with broken twig.
Well done!

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

the stem does not flare out between the saddle and the button:Image

I totally agree about the curvature on the back of the bowl though. I have a hard time creating concave spaces with a sanding wheel. practice practice
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

thanks for making things more clear regarding mouthpiece... it is allways a problem when takiong pic's to represent the pipe correctly... i assume an impossible task... it allways looks better in real life than i photos... and everything makes more sense in real life too (o.k. regarding pipes that is :) )..... heheheheh
again - thank you bregolad for aditional picture....
regards
daniel
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

The base of the stem seems too rounded to me. You've got a nice jagged edge (plateau) and then the roundness seems in opposition. Picture 2 it looks like the front of the bowl takes a dip (or you can look at it as a dent) about 2/3's of the way up from the bottom. This would probably look more flowing if the curve was more continuous. In picture 5 the back of the bowl from the junction of the stem and bowl looks very straight and interrupts the flow. You've got this great curve set up and then bam a 45 degree angle. The bowl side of the stem sort of does the same thing.

Personal preference (take with a grain of salt): I like the angle of the larger part of the stem. I think it would look better on the opposite side so that it echos the angle of the top of the stem. Picture 1.

All that being said, I'm an amateur. I probably don't know what I'm talking about most of the time. :banghead:

Brandon
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A pity so many defects that have appeared in the wood. The union of the mouthpiece with the pipe do not like it. It would have been more appropriate to a insert army. I do not speak English so I beg you to accept my excuses if you read the texts.
Regards.
Felix

Una pena que hayan aparecido tantos defectos en la madera. La unión de la boquilla con el caño no me gusta nada. Hubiera sido mas adecuado realizar un encastre army. No hablo ingles por lo que ruego que aceptéis mis disculpas cuando leáis los textos.
Saludos.
Félix
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

Thanks guys.
There are quite a few things with the shaping I wasn't sure of, including what was mentioned.

The stem was kind of an experiment: I wasn't sure whether to imitate the angle of the plateau, or have it be opposite. Now that I think about it, Maxamil is right: a military saddle or something probably would have tied it together more effectively.
Thanks for all the thoughts though :) I really appreciate having more opinions than just mine to base things off of.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
MadTinker

Post by MadTinker »

Man I love it..Looks Great to me, very different
My intent is to make weird pipes out of weird materials