Bent Dublin...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
grainisgood

Bent Dublin...

Post by grainisgood »

This pipe, my first, from a pre-drilled Calebrisi kit. Power tools used were a 1" belt sander and a Dremmel. Also used many files and of course sand paper, steel wool. Lightly dyed with alcohol based shoe dye. Took me about fifteen hours to complete. Thoroughly enjoyed doing it and it smokes like a champ. Can I get some honest opinions on execution? Thank you.

Mike
Last edited by grainisgood on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nate

Re: Bent Dublin...

Post by Nate »

Not too shabby for a first try! It looks from the picture like the shank has a reverse taper. Could just be the photo though. Nice work, and as Kurt always says 'go make another!' :)
grainisgood

Post by grainisgood »

Thanks Nate,
There's the pipe.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Nice job, man. Leaps and bounds ahead of my first.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
grainisgood

Post by grainisgood »

Thanks Nate and JMG,
The shank to stem taper does bulge a bit in the middle. I think the camera's lens does accentuate that but it's there. Since finishing this pipe in January, I have a buffer set-up and have buffed the pipe with hard carnauba. It really brought out the grain and shine more so than in the above photo. The stem also shined up well. I plan to make another pipe from scratch real soon.
I have to say that this forum has been a great help to me. I've been reading the posts for weeks after discovering it. It's good to have such a resource. Thank you to all.

Mike