billiard, i hope

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
mathias65

billiard, i hope

Post by mathias65 »

Thought I'd take a shot at a billiard. I think I came close anyways.

Although it's the thinnest stem I've managed to date, I can still hear ya all telling me it needs to be thinner. That second pic makes the stem look fatter than it actually is. I apologize for that, the first pic is closer to reality. I suspect I will also hear about the wine colored lucite I decided to try with it. I chose to leave it natural color simply due to the fact I didn't like any of my stains with this stem. I feel it gives it a nice contrast anyways.

As always, comments are welcome and encouraged. So, please, tear it up, I can take it. :)

taharris

Re: billiard, i hope

Post by taharris »

Nice job.

I like the wine colored stem.

Maybe try using a dark red as a pre sanding cote to leave subtle red highlights. :?:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This is actually a pretty good pipe, and I like the stem color. You're definitely showing improvement!

Yeah, the stem could be thinner, but that's not a huge deal. The thing I noticed first is that the bowl shape is not the same from side to side as it is front to back. The picture of the rear of the pipe shows this most. In this photo the bowl seems like a rounded dublin, while the first and second photos show that it's more a billiard-ish shape. That's one of the most difficult parts of trying to shape a billiard without a lathe - keeping everything concentric and symmetrical.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hey Mathias,
you are really getting good!The stile you are developing is recognizable through the use of your stem color combined with the billiard shape.I was just wondering, could the grain have been more underlined if you would have dyed it in a color harmonizing the stem,you know more on the classical side ?
I like this composition, it gives a positive and honest feedback to the observing eye,i have a campfire in mind while enjoying in such a pipe surrounded with friends and family ! :thumbsup:

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

It looks more like a Pot.
Duty of care but the union with the rod stem.
Regards.
Felix
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Felix. The bowl height is a bit on the short side for a proper billiard. The pot is a variation of the billiard so no big deal there. The bigger issue is the heel of the pipe has too much chin. Sand that back and the top shank bowl junction in a tad and you're pretty close.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Nice job Mathias! :)
I like the proportions, that's usually the biggest pain to get right. The stem color does suit the pipe.
Only a matter of my peasant ranked opinion, maybe if the stem were just a wee bit longer? Hard to say though, with so many variations around I think the stem length would be more opinion than anything.
That is some nice drilling too, dead center draught holes are my unicorn per se, lol.
In any instance, bravo man :thumbsup:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)