Acorn, I think

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

Acorn, I think

Post by DaGamba »

Here's a pipe I finished today. I did have a completely different shape in mind when I first started making this pipe but tons of cracks and sand pits forced me to change the shape on the way. And this is what I came up with.
I learned a lot on this pipe. It was hard and difficult work. But very fun and interesting.
I just couldn't get the symmetry together. Whenever I fixed one thing something else was out of symmetry. So I decided to stop here while there still was a enough wood left to be able to smoke it. Maybe someone with better eyes than me can say what should have been fixed?
And I really fucked up the drilling, as you can see on pic 3.

JMG

Re: Acorn, I think

Post by JMG »

Man, you are cranking out some pipes lately! I like this one. I think a shorter stem would work a little better though, and maybe flattening the end of the shank where the stem meets. Maybe taking some briar off the bottom of the shank so that it's not so rounded and matches the top of the shank a little better may be nice as well...though I'm not sure about this.

Nice finish and interesting shape. Seems like you did a great job working with and unruly piece of briar.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like the overall design concept of this pipe with the exception of the oval bowl. The bowl profile looks nice. The shank looks too thick where it meets the bowl. If the airway drilling allows I think it would have looked more balanced if you took more off of the top in that area. The stem stummel transition doesn't really work. If you're going to round off the shank end then you'd do better going with a freehand style stem. Sometimes a well intentioned design is thwarted by major flaws. Nice effort to make the best of the bad briar.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thank you for your comments guys.
Unfortunately the drilling doesn't allow for anymore shaping on the shank. It's not much wood left on the top or the bottom(I told you I fucked up the drilling :x )
I agree about the oval bowl. I would've much preferred a round one. Unfortunately the sides had canyon sized cracks on the side that I wanted to get rid of.