A few new pipes, first blasts

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sean

A few new pipes, first blasts

Post by sean »

Sean - I Still Suck
http://www.epperspipes.com
bregolad

Re: A few new pipes, first blasts

Post by bregolad »

Really digging the shaping, but it seems like the saddles are a bit off.
the first ones a bit long, and the second way short.

I love that squat rhodesian though :)
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Extraordinary works.
Greetings.
Felix
sean

Post by sean »

Thanks for the kind words. I think your right about the saddle stems on those two pipes. Learning lots from you guys!
Sean - I Still Suck
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I agree with it to, in fact I'd go so far as to say that your skills are pretty good, you are turning nice shapes and doing all the "pieces" pretty well (with the one exception being that to me the button looks too tall for my comfort), and now what has to happen for that next step is you have to pay attention to composition, and get things to balance out - how does the pipe look with a shorter stem? Longer? What if the shank flares out, what if the saddle is tiny vs long, all that stuff, and start balancing out the designs. For me, what this comes down to is looking at master-grade pipes, and finding out what balancing factors are in play in shapes similar to what I'm working on.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sean

Post by sean »

Sasquatch wrote:I agree with it to, in fact I'd go so far as to say that your skills are pretty good, you are turning nice shapes and doing all the "pieces" pretty well (with the one exception being that to me the button looks too tall for my comfort), and now what has to happen for that next step is you have to pay attention to composition, and get things to balance out - how does the pipe look with a shorter stem? Longer? What if the shank flares out, what if the saddle is tiny vs long, all that stuff, and start balancing out the designs. For me, what this comes down to is looking at master-grade pipes, and finding out what balancing factors are in play in shapes similar to what I'm working on.

WOW! Sas that is the nicest thing you've said to me in a year! :lol: I agree. I really need to slow down and plan a pipe out from the beginning rather than plan as I go. I am just now starting to get to the point where the pipe is actually looking like what I had in my head and so slowing down and thinking through the little things are a must.

Thanks Sas
Sean - I Still Suck
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Right - it might be that a guy who has made 1500 pipes can just sit down and "feel" his way through it, his hands know the motions, his eyes know the proportions, and it's all just going to come together. And I can go out into the shop and pop out a pipe that way, but it's going to be just a pipe, nothing special. But when I slow down, and think things out, and particularly draw a shape over and over again, and then go and try to build the best of those, I get a much more pleasing end result, and the difference happens to be the one of going from "Oh man that's a nice pipe." to "Oh man that's a nice pipe AND I WANT TO BUY IT."
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!