My 3rd Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
adryazad

My 3rd Pipe

Post by adryazad »

Hi guys,

this is my first post for a pipe I've made.
But before that, I guess I still owe this forum an introduction. I'm Adry from Malaysia, and I've just started picking up pipe-making as a hobby.

Anyways, here's my ahemm.. freehand..
The pipe was from a plateau block, i drilled on my drill press, and later finished off the bowl with a carbon coating. Unfortunately, i forgot to take a picture from the top down.

Your comments will be greatly appreaciated.

Cheers,

Adry
Abi Natur

Re: My 3rd Pipe

Post by Abi Natur »

Welcome Adry,
that is a rather well executed third pipe concluding from the pictures with a interesting line flowing along the bowl ,ahemm...the bend in the stem is to my personal observation not a matching line to the shank and bowl of the pipe.It makes more sense if you would have kept it straight. The saddle of the stem is also not defined as it could have been.
I will stop here with my remarks since there will be some more comments coming your way from fellow pipe enthusiasts which will find some other details of like or dislike in this pipe,so i presume.

Hope to see some more of your works.

Best,
Abi
Last edited by Abi Natur on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Very nice pipe. I like the refined, sculptural effect in the somewhat conventional pipe shape, but I'm with Abi about the stem. Just my opinion, but I think it should have been straight.
M.M.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

i agree - straight stem - othewise, nice looking... :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Good finishing job! Stay on and you'll learn a lot from these guys.
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

That is a really gourgeous stummel, the stem just gives me nightmares of setting my house on fire because it seems that when put between your teeth it would point away from you a tad too much
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I actually am going to go against the grain here and say that I like the bend in the stem. I think it compliments the bend at the heel. The main thing that I see is that the top of the shank lacks definition where it meets the bowl. The overall composition would flow better if that line matched the line you have going at the heel of the pipe, IMHO. The stem could stand to be a touch shorter but it's not bad. The finish is very nicely done. Good work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com