one pot reject....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ND Pipes

one pot reject....

Post by ND Pipes »

just would like to hear opinions regarding shape... this pipe is unfortunately a reject due to a cracked tenon... (airhole needs to be cleaned with a air gun... has dust in it right now on one picture)....

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
maxmil

Re: one pot reject....

Post by maxmil »

By the way is a pot, with a magnificent flaming and "bird eye".
Greetings.
Felix
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

yes... to bad it cracked... my mistake - i am an idiot... :)

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's no reject! All it needs is a new stem, and you'll be good to go.

The one thing that jumps out at me is that it appears that the pipe has a bowl/shank angle of less than 90 degrees. I'm sure this isn't the case, but figured I'd bring it up because, due to lens parallax, that's what it looks like. When taking photos it's usually best to back off from the subject and zoom in if you don't have a camera with a prime lens. Otherwise you get the "fish eye" effect.

The bowl/shank transition could be tightened up a bit more, and I think I would have opted for a saddle stem here. The taper stem is a bit to heavy, visually speaking. And takes my eye away from the bowl.

Other than that, that's some good work. I like the staining and finishing, and despite the boogered up tenon, it looks like you get a nice tight stem/shank fitment.

Since you have to make a new stem anyway, give a saddle stem a shot and see what happens. Make sure it's got a nice short barrel section to keep focus on the bowl.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I agree with everything Kurt said.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hey Danijel,
I also agree on everything Kurt said,a broken tenon does not make you an idiot or else every guy on this forum has had been in some stage of his working development as a pipe-maker an idiot breaking something including of course myself.That is a beautiful grain an finish in your own stile.Lick your wounds ,rap it up and life goes on :wink:

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
JMG

Post by JMG »

I really love the color and grain on this pipe, man...beautiful. About the stem, I'd agree with Kurt. It looks like it may have a very slight angel to it. Also, while I'm not typically a fan of saddle bits, I think it may help to balance this pipe. Man, fix the stem and you have one really nice looking pot with amazing looking grain. Nice job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Nice piece of briar and beautiful birdseye on the rim. When I first looked at this pipe I liked it but it seemed to me it could be better, more "pottier" (and yes, I realize that's not a word).

Then, after reading Kurt's suggestion about changing the stem to a longer saddle bit, I thought, yeah, that changes everything for the better (at least, the idea of it). So, just wanted to thank you for sharing your "mistake" with us (even though I think once you get a new stem on there it will be really nice) and to tell you that this forum is really great in that, if you see enough well executed pipes (like yours) and bad pipes and everything in between, after awhile, you really start getting it. At least, idea wise, at first.

From looking at this pipe I could tell something was off but it had nothing to do with the stummel. And then when Kurt mentioned the stem, I thought, "ok, now I'm getting to the point where I can see that something is wrong. I just didn't know what it was."

I marvel at these guys (like Kurt and Sas and so many others here) to say, "ok, I would change this and this and this and here's why..." I feel like I'm going to Pipe making College! Does that make Kurt the dean?

Anyway, if you pay enough attention, you can improve your pipemaking by not only making pipes (lots of them) but by studying other peoples successes and mistakes. Okay, back to making my pipe. Would love to see the end result. Thanks again.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

first - thanks to You all... this thread is a good lesson to me...
first because i gave up on a pipe that was not so bad and had a nice grain... i thought to be impossible to execute 'till the end and het a good result .... now i know better...
second for all those good opinions that thought me to make a better pipe next time... next time because the pipe is allready gone... a friend of mine bought it for a price of the material the minute he saw the pipe...
this is good and bad.... bad, because i could fix it (i know that now - i was in panic not to damage it further and was thinking that it could not be fixed - now i know how to do it - i am an idiot afterall)... good, because my friend is happy as a bird.....

related the pipe... Kurt, you are right - the bowl is not having a 90 degrees angle - it is angled arround 3 degrees from the smoker (similar like billiard needs to be angled but a little bit less - so, not on 90 degrees angle)... i thought this to be right - when i look at it now, i was probably wrong here....
bowl 2 shank - understood... now, when i look at the pic's i can see that...
what do you suggest about the stem - to sand it more down so that from the sides it appears less heavy - could this help more... (this is if i use it with a taper stem) ....
with saddle stem this is not a problem.... this is a great advice... guys - thank You...

in future, i have to come here first and if nothing helps than reject the pipe... this one could be saved and look better at the end.... i was in panic i guess....

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

tNd wrote:related the pipe... Kurt, you are right - the bowl is not having a 90 degrees angle - it is angled arround 3 degrees from the smoker (similar like billiard needs to be angled but a little bit less - so, not on 90 degrees angle)... i thought this to be right - when i look at it now, i was probably wrong here....
No, you probably got it right. What we're seeing in the photos is what's called "parallax distortion", due to using a wide angle lens to take pictures up close. Some lenses have a "macro" function that corrects this distortion, but a lot don't. For that reason I take all my photos at about 50mm focal length, and simply back the tripod up if I need to, or crop afterward if the pipe is smaller than I want. This also allows me freedom to position the pipe in the photo to where I need it to be.
tNd wrote:what do you suggest about the stem - to sand it more down so that from the sides it appears less heavy - could this help more... (this is if i use it with a taper stem) ....
My personal preference is for a saddle stem on pots. The short, fat bowl kinda needs some help to remain in proportion, so I like to see a saddle stem to help even out the composition.

This is, obviously, not always the case. I saw a Becker pot recently that was really well composed, but had a taper stem. It was a very thin taper though, and the shank was thin as well.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

o.k.... got it... thank You Kurt - this was a great help....
best regards

daniel

Post by daniel »

looks nice to me,
and props for not filling those pits, they are beautyspots.
you could try usin delrin for tenons if you havent already tried/used them that material is really hard to break.
id try to replace that tenon with a new one before making a totally new stem.
i hope i brought up something usefull.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

i am also daniel :).. thank you for your answer...
well, the pipe is gone... a friend has it..
i could do a lot of things differently now but at that time, as said, i was in panic not to damage it more - i guess this is also learning .. on my mistakes... it was a mistake - had to fix it and story finished....
:) oh well, will be better next time.... :)