chubby pot thing (olive)

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bregolad

chubby pot thing (olive)

Post by bregolad »

I've been making alot of pipes out of olive recently (ordering briar is priority one), and this is one of my last. Due to the physical properties of olive: more porous, more prone to breaking, I tried to go for a thick one :)

There's a thread about big bowls in the General section open right now, and this seems appropriate. The bowl is 7/8" and the stem is handcut ABS rod. Comfy in the teeth, bitch to sand, and not deep black like ebonite.
I realize this is FAT pipe, and that there are flaws in the wood, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
JMG

Re: chubby pot thing (olive)

Post by JMG »

The "bubbly" shank is not my favorite, but overall I like it, man. I haven't checked out too many olive wood pipes, but of the ones I've seen this one has some of the more impressive grain...well on one side anyway.

How is it working with olive wood. Is it much different than briar?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
bregolad

Re: chubby pot thing (olive)

Post by bregolad »

its more porous and lighter. It smokes well, but after working with briar, it takes a little getting used to. It has less structural integrity than briar.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com