My Pipe's Bigger Than Yours

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NathanA
Site Supporter

My Pipe's Bigger Than Yours

Post by NathanA »

So this one is very different. I found a friend of a friend who does graphic design and he was interested in doing a little trade. He gets a pipe and I get some design work on a logo and a website (when it is time for that, maybe in another year or so). He found a Larry Roush estate chimney on smokingpipes.com and wanted something similar. I had PME ship me the biggest hunk of briar they had and this is what I came up with. Overall bowl height is about 3.2 inches, chamber is about 2.9 inches deep. Overall length about 5.25 inches. The request to make it sit was given after much of the shaping had been done so I didn’t really have a chance to work that part into the design. This is also the first one to bear my new stamp.

I would love some feedback as this was really new territory for me, particularly on the stem (which is only my second hand cut) and the shank/bowl transition. I contemplated over and over again how much to take off that transition and decided that to take off any more would make it look too corncob-ish, but I could be wrong in that. And with those long straight sides I thought it could do with at least some curves. Looking forward to the feedback.

Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Sasquatch

Re: My Pipe's Bigger Than Yours

Post by Sasquatch »

This pipe reminds me in many ways of a Castello 65 bent billiard - http://www.parklanetobacconist.com/webs ... ts_id=1942

If you knocked an inch off the top you'd be into that territory. The Castello shape also features a really tall and wide bowl/shank transition which does a lot of things, visually. One, it makes the pipe a little more balanced given just how much wood the bowl is left with, it gives it more curve than a Dunhill-type bent billiard, driving the thing "Italian" rather than "English" in nature.
Like the Castello, the lines of the stem and shank are not particularly continuous - it gives the impression of more sanding being done at that joint than elsewhere. This is a constant presence on Castellos, and I don't know if it's intentional or just lazy on their part. Certainly none of the master level pipes I've looked at would consider it a feature to have such a difference in angle between stem and shank. So look at the line along the bottom of the pipe for example - it kind of swoops in a bit at the joint rather than offering a single S-curve from button to bowl.

Sitter aside, often pipes of this shape look a little more refined if you leave a bit more material on the heel, putting the visual balance of the bottom of the pipe a little further back. If you look at most bent pipes, the lowest point does not occur at the center of the bowl, but 1/2" or so behind that. Castello gets away from this more than any other brand - if you look at their bent pipes, the 65 and the 97 in particular, they are often done with a pretty heavy bottom/front. Gives them a really serious presence but detracts from the overall lines, arguably. (I would also argue that the physical balance is better on pipes with some heel weight).

I don't know if it's just the angle of the photo or not, but your stem looks really thick at the bit. What are you using to cut the slot?

I like the barky texture and your staining looks nice - subdued and contemplative.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

I wish I would have known you'd trade graphic work for a pipe. I do a lot of graphic work on the side and mostly logo and company identity work. If you ever need any more graphic design work let me know, :)
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Sasquatch wrote:Like the Castello, the lines of the stem and shank are not particularly continuous - it gives the impression of more sanding being done at that joint than elsewhere. This is a constant presence on Castellos, and I don't know if it's intentional or just lazy on their part. Certainly none of the master level pipes I've looked at would consider it a feature to have such a difference in angle between stem and shank. So look at the line along the bottom of the pipe for example - it kind of swoops in a bit at the joint rather than offering a single S-curve from button to bowl.
Hey Todd,
Would you mind elaborating on this a little more or just spell it out for a dummy. I am having a little difficulty getting exactly what you mean.
Sasquatch wrote: don't know if it's just the angle of the photo or not, but your stem looks really thick at the bit. What are you using to cut the slot?
I use a dremel bit to cut the slot not sure what is called but it looks like a tiny circular saw blade mounted on the end of a shaft (1/16 thick). It measures 0.20" right behind the button. I know this is two or three hundredths off the norm but I thought the weightier pipe might need a little extra to chomp down on. I think the angle of the pipc makes it look thicker.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Okay, here's the sasquatchatronic pipe-critique software in action once again.

If you look where the yellow arrow points the pipe is just a tiny bit concave - it should curve out the other way or at worst be straight there. The pink line is straight and you can see the pipe just come away right at the end of the shank.

On the top line, indicated with a blue arrow, there's a subtle "elbow" - a slight change of angle between stem and shank. It's minor, but it's there, sort of indicated in light blue. There's a "curve" in pink, just showing a guy a smoother line.

Why I say this is Castello-y..... well, look here, for example, compare your shape to the 97 here: http://www.pipes2smoke.com/Castello_shapes.htm

Here's a 900 dollar pipe with the same tendencies - http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/c ... t_id=62427

Compare to the relatively smoother and more uniform curves of this one, for example:

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dp ... clocakkkk8

Now, granted, doing really bent pipes and geting nice curves out of them is pretty hard - doing a round fat half-bent is much easier, the curvature is much more natural. But it can be done - the shaping on this Ser Jac is much nicer in this regard. Still a big, aggressive blocky pipe, still full bent, but the lines are much more fluid - way more care was taken in shaping this one than the Castellos. http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/s ... t_ID=69671
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

That is biiiig pipe. I like stacks, and I have a hard time pulling off deep bents like that. Congrats :)
In reference to Castello, I actually dislike their shaping. Quite a bit, actually. It always seems lazy and to be frank, amateur. There are a number of pipe producers who much more graceful lines for much cheaper (Radice, Ardor, Cavicci, etc.)
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

bregolad wrote:That is biiiig pipe. I like stacks, and I have a hard time pulling off deep bents like that. Congrats :)
In reference to Castello, I actually dislike their shaping. Quite a bit, actually. It always seems lazy and to be frank, amateur. There are a number of pipe producers who much more graceful lines for much cheaper (Radice, Ardor, Cavicci, etc.)
Agreed.