Some first pipe shots

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BriarWorldNick

Some first pipe shots

Post by BriarWorldNick »

So I am about 3-4 pipes into this extravaganza now, but I decided I would post some photos(pre-lightbox shots).

Now just since my first two which I am about to show you, the learning and knowledge base has increased quite a bit.

My 3rd pipe has turned into a piece of wood I am basically using to understand and play with stains a little bit.

And one of the huge understandings or at least observations I have made about my pipes in comparison to a pipe made
by a man with the professional eye and tooling for them is that these had horrible transitions from the shank to stem...
also they are from ebauchons.

Feel free to say whatever comes to mind, but the first pipe was inspired by Gandolf(hell yes!) and is by far my favorite pipe,
if for no other reason than it being the introduction to something I have come to love(it has little dips in the airway that
catch water and make it sound like a bong).

The second was just an attempt to let the wood take its own shape, if you will.

Again thanks for viewing and I am very excited to display my journey through this amazing adventure.

Numero 1:

Number 2: A bit blurry but you get the idea

Here it is pictured in a recycled cigar box that would one day come to be its home as a product package.

Is anyone else besides me turned on by the inclusion of my toes?
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Some first pipe shots

Post by baweaverpipes »

Your Coleman cooler needs a good cleaning.
Your feet are pasty white and you need a pedicure.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like the first one. Have you figured out how to correct the stem shank transition issue? Lastly, are you wearing capris in the second picture? :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

THEY ARE CALLED SURFING KHAKIS DAMNIT!

However I live in TN, so you can imagine the level of surfing that is done.
It takes being among masters to understand and see exactly what you may never have otherwise. Luckily that is presented here and so my progress is growing much more rapidly than it may have.

I am assuming I need to sand the stem and pipe as a whole to avoid rounding off those corners?

The shorts help.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

The first pipe I like. Very cool.
No comment about the second one or the toes.
Do you have some round wood rasps? 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" 3/4" very good for shaping the transition between the shank and the bowl nicely, but rough, careful to get a smooth curve into both with no dips or bumps. I size the tip body close to the shank size and make the tenon and mortise, and install the tip, before I fine shape the shank. You can then fine shape them both together, with files, sanders, coarse hand sanding (120 grit is good), then fine hand sanding on up, depending on the pipe, but however it goes, it goes together.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

I like the churchwarden! Maybe that's because I've been listening to an audiobook version of "The Hobbit" lately. I think I secretly want one now.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com