steampunk pipe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Gerrit Jan

steampunk pipe

Post by Gerrit Jan »

As I am a really newbie in this forum I'm wondering what is the definition of a so called "Steampunk" pipe. Are they, beyond the pipes of Daniel, more examples, pictures or threads about this item??

GJ
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I think the provenance of the term "steampunk pipe" can be traced back to a post that a prominent collector made on a separate message board for pipe smokers. It was more about a certain gentleman at a pipe show who seemed to carry himself in a particular stylistic fashion and also happened to smoke a pipe. That term was then applied to a couple of pipes posted in the gallery here. At this point, there is nothing to define a "steampunk pipe" and there are no "examples" of same said. You can read about "Steampunk" on wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Todd
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

No, Steampunk is kind of a sub-genre of science fiction/fantasy. It's a play on the phrase cyberpunk, but usually involves a future or parallel universe that still depends on steam power and 19th century sensibilities....sorta....I don't have a whole lot of exposure to it.....but it's not a specific type of pipe. I think he just termed it that because it looks like something from the genre....

EDIT: I guess I wrote this right as Todd was responding. Check his wikipedia link.
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well, thank you both... I've got to read and learn a lot of new things... thanks!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Here's a steampunk computer:

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:Here's a steampunk computer:

Rad
Come on Rad, fess up. That's your computer. Right?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Nah, It's pretty cool though. I'd have one like that if I didn't have to make it myself.

Here's a very cool ergonomic steampunk keyboard:

Rad
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

Based on the Steampunk aesthetic, I don't quite understand why Daniel considers some of his pipes to be "Steampunk".

I reckon this fancy Vesz has a kind of "Steampunk" feel to it:

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Some of what these guys do with the steampunk idea is absolutely amazing. A lot of it hinges on the assumption that Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace had managed to complete both the Difference Engine and the Analytical Engine before they both died (Ada rather untimely). It's really fascinating to consider the changes to historical timelines.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Image[/img]
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hi,

Funny this came up,
I'm working on a version of this right now. A real pipe I mean, not illustration artwork. Great images though! :)

I guess it's not as original as I thought it was going to be.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Souljer wrote:Hi,

Funny this came up,
I'm working on a version of this right now. A real pipe I mean, not illustration artwork. Great images though! :)

I guess it's not as original as I thought it was going to be.

After sever million years of human history NOTHING IS ORIGINAL! I tend to view things either as "inspired" or not. I think there's much inspiration to be drawn from this stuff, though. I especially like Rad's computer, and it explains why his e-mails always seem to be damp and musty smelling.

TJ
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well Todd, I think you're right. And I think that's the great problem of the big pipe-factories... the lack of inspiration. By so many "novelties" I think: I've seen that before. That's why I have great respect for those freehand carvers who try to make pipes by an idea, by inspiriation, wherever they get it from. I often ask myself if the big factories spend much time and money in the creative, the "thinking" process....
A german girl who met a few of the carvers on a show up there wrote: I've had it with serial pipes... from now on I invest my money in the freehands. Less is finanilly more. To my opinion she's right.
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

I was wondering if the "real" steampunk pipe would excist. The answer is yes. An Austrian pipesmoker/collector send me pictures of a pipe that was made for the company Page-Hersey in Toronto, probably before WWII. The pipe is still in good condition...

GJ
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Yeah, I've been following this "steampunk" discussion with great interest.

But I haven't had much to add to it thus far, except to say that I'm leaning toward the idea of a "steampunk pipe" being one that has the appearance of being "over-engineered".

It consists of more than just stem-and-stummel, and at least one or two of the components have a certain mechanical quality that either serve a purpose or appear to serve a purpose.

Examples might include: Tyrolean/Bavarian type pipes with those hinged silver spark covers; cavaliers with a special cleaning port or sump; or something like a hookah pipe -- except without any negative connotations. :lol:
Frank

Post by Frank »

pierredekat wrote:..... or something like a hookah pipe -- except without any negative connotations. :lol:
Negative connotations?? What negative connotations? Speaking of which, have you noticed the irony? Loads of people are trying to get tobacco completely banned, while other loads of people (including some of the previous bunch) are trying to legalize pot! Go figure.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

pierredekat wrote:Yeah, I've been following this "steampunk" discussion with great interest.

But I haven't had much to add to it thus far, except to say that I'm leaning toward the idea of a "steampunk pipe" being one that has the appearance of being "over-engineered".

It consists of more than just stem-and-stummel, and at least one or two of the components have a certain mechanical quality that either serve a purpose or appear to serve a purpose.

Examples might include: Tyrolean/Bavarian type pipes with those hinged silver spark covers; cavaliers with a special cleaning port or sump; or something like a hookah pipe -- except without any negative connotations. :lol:
Yeah exactly. Don't forget a gear driven smoke cooling system and a venturi pump to get rid of the goo. Oh, and maybe also some kind of a choke or perhaps an intercooler ?
NateTheBookie

Post by NateTheBookie »

Or better yet, (as I mentioned in reply to Daniels pipes) A miniature steam boiler integrated with the bowl, attatched to a fully functional piston assemble and steam whistle... Also makes Julian Fries!!!

I propose a contest!
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well, a contest ...that would be nice!! Man o man...what have I done?? I just asked some information.... :o

I'm in contact with a man who runs a hobbyshop that sell the wilesco steammachines. There is a catalogue of the specific parts necessecasry for a project like this. More info on: http://www.wilesco.de/wilesco/us/index.html
daniel

Post by daniel »

i would like to see them !
i gues that pipemakers who do knives and other stuff from metal
will have a nice project with this, if someone goes with this.