An introduction and question RE: humidity

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Old Bird

An introduction and question RE: humidity

Post by Old Bird »

First a quick intro - I'm brand new to pipemaking, just trying my first pieces. I smoke a pipe a few times a month, more if I get a break from my two young sets of twins. Yes, I said two SETS of twins. The boys are 3 and a half and the girls are nine months. On top of owning a small business they keep me busy.

I used to make jewelry, lost wax casting plus some hand fabrication, and I also fabricate parts for my other hobby, jeeps and classic cars. So I've got some experience with hand crafting pieces, and I'm hoping it will translate into making pipes.

Right now I'm looking for a hobby that doesn't cost WAY too much money, and can be done with relatively short pockets of time here and there. I plan on making a few for myself and a couple of pipe smoking friends, then once I improve trying to sell some for just enough money to keep up with the hobby.

I've got the Pimo book, and I'll be perusing that shortly, and I've got plenty of fabrication tools ranging from a drill press to a flex shaft to dental tools for detail work.

My question, if you've stuck with me this long, is about humidity. I live outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Needless to say, it's usually pretty dry around here. Lately we've had a lot of rain, and humidity has been an ungodly 40% or so, but we tend to hang around the 20% mark, if not lower. I got some pre-drilled briar blocks from Pimo for a quick start to my first couple pipes, and I wonder if, and how long, I should let them acclimate to the humidity before I try to work them. I would hate to make a nice pipe only to have it crack after its done.

Any thoughts? Anyone else live in the desert and have any suggestions for dealing with the humidity and getting materials from a wetter climate?

Thanks!
Timothy

"I've been fighting reality for 35 years. I am very happy to say that I have finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

Welcome to the forum and the world of pipemaking. I live in Illinois where the weather changes by the hour sometimes. We go through periods of high humidity and then dry spells. Hot and cold, etc. I've never had any issues with making pipes in any weather. The mortise on your pipe may become a little tighter when humid and looser when dry but by such a small degree that it doesn't matter. We have pipemakers here that live in the Arizona desert and probably sell to buyers in Florida where the humidity is very high. Your pipes will become self adjustable to the climate that they reside in. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Kevin
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I had the same worries. The humidity in the Alberta prairies can be just.... zero, both in summer and winter. Then we get 3 weeks of rain once in awhile or something stupid.

I have pipes in Texas and Florida and haven't heard any complaints, and saw no poor effects on any of the various briar that has come my way.

It will move a bit, but it's really very little compared to many other woods.
Old Bird

Post by Old Bird »

Thanks guys. I know hardwoods tend to be more stable, but I just wanted to be sure. Anytime we build anything out here we need to allow the wood to age at least a few weeks in the desert otherwise you'll find a crooked building.
Timothy

"I've been fighting reality for 35 years. I am very happy to say that I have finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd