New guy, first pipe - critiques sought

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Glenn

New guy, first pipe - critiques sought

Post by Glenn »

Greetings all,

Firstly, I've been reading the Forum extensively for a few months and have been very impressed with the high quality of the postings, the generous sharing of information and techniques, and the genuine interest in the craft and the overall goal of improving our skills. The Forum is a goldmine and, based on what I've read here, I decided to try my hand.

So, I've made a pipe. Got the stem and briar from PIMO, squared the block and went to work. I previously made three VPSOs (vaguely pipe shaped objects). One each from cherry, walnut, and oak. This is my first work in briar. An interesting wood to work with. I very much like it's density, hardness and feel. I replaced the stem's integral tenon with delrin.

I have no illusions about this pipe, it's not that great. For every flaw apparent in the pictures, I'm aware of several more. I enjoyed making it, learned a lot and am now working an another.

The pictures show it still in progress (I don't have a camera, but was able to borrow one for a few hours), I've since corrected the low airway by a bit of hand-turning (and then spending half an hour sanding the bit marks-doh!). I've also lightened the color a bit.
Sorry the pictures are so dark.

I welcome your comments and critiques.

Regards,

Glenn

tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Greetings and welcome! There definitely are some areas you could improve but hey! This is your first pipe! Enjoy it! I would criticize the firsts as they have emotional value to their creators ;)
But you asked for it so here are my ultra-lamer comments:
- I love the shape from the sides but I could think of a slimmer stem when looking at the top view. The bowl diameter and shank/stem diameter is very close...
- The bowl is a bit wavy from the top not a perfect circle.
- You could spend more time with high grit sanding and tripoling - there are some visible scratches.
Despite all this I love and I'm sure you do too ;) Pack it, light it smoke it! ;)
AaronWhitehouse0077

Post by AaronWhitehouse0077 »

Hi Glenn,

Very nice, I like the overall shape, it isn't a shape I see every day, and it looks comortable to hold. It does need a bit higher of a polish still, but for a first briar pipe, I only hope my first comes out so nice. The stain is a bit dark but then the only pipe I made out of Pine just to see what I could do was stained a deep Cabernet, much the same color as this pipe. Congrats on a decent first pipe, let us know how it smokes.

~Aaron
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah if you can run that thing on a tripoli wheel, I bet that grain jumps right out.
Zeeborn

Post by Zeeborn »

Definitely a respectable first pipe. Like other have said work on sanding and buffing out the scratches and that will make a big difference in the overall finished quality of the pipe. I would also say that the shank and stem diameter seam too large in relation to the size of the bowl. Also I think the air hole enters the bowl just a little low. This might just be my own preference but I don't think you should see the profile of the drill bit you used to make the air hole. It should just be round with the contour of the bowl. Other than that I think it looks good. The side view has nice flowing lines and the stem-shank transition is well done. Good job. Now get to work on #2!

Cheers,
Nate D.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Nice first effort.
It has a vaguely PreRepublic Petersen look to it.
I like the general shape. I would suggest tightening the definition lines at the "jowls" of the bowl, raising the chin a touch and smoothing out the bottom line.
The top of the shank/stem line is a nice clean arc. It would be helpful to see the bit in a whole profile shot.
Todd Johnson once said that the body of a pipe should seem like skin stretched over a frame - tight and defined where the lines create the essential outline of the shape.
This always stuck with me. It is very common to leave more wood than is "essential".
I do it all too often.
I'll try to attach a crude image as an example of some of what I "see" under the
skin of this pipe.
BTW- all in all, I really like where you were (are?) going with this pipe.

Keep at it. This is WAY better than a lot of first efforts.
Good luck,
Steve Morrisette
Well... I forgot how to post an image and I've had too much Woodford Reserve to figure it out. :doh:
Email me and i'll send you the image.
magruder

Post by magruder »

I think I got it now.
I tightened up some of the lines.
Again, a nice first effort.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thanks all for your comments, especially Magruder. Your comments and image on possible refinements are well taken. Thanks for taking the time to develop the image. I'll probably refine the finish, but not the shape. My finest paper was 800 and I didn't use tripoli. I have some now and will redo everything. I agree that the finish is flawed and too dark (worse in the photos). If I can borrow a camera, I'll post the results.

Number 2 is underway, but I've already made a few errors that will be difficult to correct. I'll salvage something, but the original design isn't going to happen. Work and learn.

Again, my sincere thanks to you all.

Regards,

Glenn