Pipe Signature

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Zeeborn

Pipe Signature

Post by Zeeborn »

So I have been thinking about getting a custom signature stamp made, but I can't decide what I should have on it. I know those stamps are quite an investment so I want something that I can use for a long time and especially one that I can use if I get to a point where I am making pipes professionally or semiprofessionally. So I fell that (thinking about the future and where I want to go with my pipe making) I need to pick a name that will still be appropriate at a professional level. My first thought would be to use something like “Davis Pipes”, “N. Davis Pipes”, “Nate Davis Pipes” or just “N. Davis” and also have some way of recording the date. But there are already at least two other professional pipe makers with the name of Davis so it feels kind of aquaria using my name. Should I come up with a name that's more of a brand name or just go with my name? How did you guys decide on your pipe signatures?
Thanks,
Nate Davis
ckr

Post by ckr »

I would change my first name to "Rad". Err, sorry - it was just a thought, a very fleeting thought.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nate,

For the time being, I would say that you would be best using individual letter stamps. You can buy a set of 1/8" stamps from Harbor Freight for around $5. You would be wise to wait until you've established yourself a bit more and have a customer list that can support your business before jumping in with a full-on custom made stamp.

FWIW, I used individual stamps on my pipes for the first 50 that I offered for sale. Only then did I have a "real" custom stamp made.

You'll save yourself some money and prevent your work from being locked into a look or name that you may at a later time be uncomfortable with.

On what to use:

Jody Davis stamps his pipes "J. Davis"
Rad Davis stamps his pipes "Rad Davis"

You'll do well to think hard about how to avoid mimicking their forms.

Best,

Jeff
Frank

Post by Frank »

No matter what logo you go with, I would omit the word "Pipes".
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

jeff wrote:Nate,

For the time being, I would say that you would be best using individual letter stamps. You can buy a set of 1/8" stamps from Harbor Freight for around $5. You would be wise to wait until you've established yourself a bit more and have a customer list that can support your business before jumping in with a full-on custom made stamp.

FWIW, I used individual stamps on my pipes for the first 50 that I offered for sale. Only then did I have a "real" custom stamp made.

You'll save yourself some money and prevent your work from being locked into a look or name that you may at a later time be uncomfortable with.

On what to use:

Jody Davis stamps his pipes "J. Davis"
Rad Davis stamps his pipes "Rad Davis"

You'll do well to think hard about how to avoid mimicking their forms.

Best,

Jeff

My new stamp is just "RAD" with "USA" underneath. It now matches the brand that Neil puts on my pipe socks.

Rad
AaronWhitehouse0077

Post by AaronWhitehouse0077 »

I'm not sure on this but perhaps your initials and the year. For Instance If your name was Jean Claude Van Damme and the pipe was made this year, perhaps then

JCVD09 or JCVD2009

just a thought, it might be a bad one or a good one, I've no experiance with stamps. I do know that it has to be something you like that I think would be important.

~Aaron
Zeeborn

Post by Zeeborn »

Thanks for all of you comments this is really helpful. The one thing I don’t want to do is step on the coat tails of Rad or Jody. I definitely look up to them as pipe carvers but I have no intention of trying to use my name to some how associate my self with them. I got to make my own way and build a reputation from my own merit.
Frank your absolutely right about leaving out the word “pipes” now that I think about it is seams kind of hokey.
I will look into single letter stamps. I just really think a custom stamp adds a more refined look to a pipe.
Something that would be helpful to me and probably others in my situation would be to see pictures of other peoples signature marks. Maybe a picture of the stamp too?
Thanks a lot guys, this forum is great!
-Nate D.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I am thinking of going to a burn-in stamp. I have a rather nice one, but "Handcrafted With Care by Lothario Von Tripphammer III" doesn't fit all that well on most pipe shanks, so I am toying with the idea of grinding it down or ordering something smaller.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Nate, browse through a few of these, there are literally hundreds: http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/index-en.html
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
AaronWhitehouse0077

Post by AaronWhitehouse0077 »

Thank you Frank that site is very informative, it gave me plenty of ideas, and I recognized some sigs that I couldn't locate on-line from my Grandfather's pipes. One was an Irwin's on his pipe it didn't say Irwins, it just had the symbol. I must say thank you again. I've added that site to my bookmarks.

~Aaron
jeff

Post by jeff »

RadDavis wrote: My new stamp is just "RAD" with "USA" underneath. It now matches the brand that Neil puts on my pipe socks.

Rad
You have the unique distinction that your brand and name are also adjectival. Well done!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

jeff wrote:
RadDavis wrote: My new stamp is just "RAD" with "USA" underneath. It now matches the brand that Neil puts on my pipe socks.

Rad
You have the unique distinction that your brand and name are also adjectival. Well done!
:lol:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

My pipe stamp is the same as my avitar, but I didn't have a stamp made until I hade been making pipes for about 2 years.

There is a local guy in AZ who does lazer markings, I used him alot prior to getting my stamp.