Need a guiding hand with a stem bend

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

Need a guiding hand with a stem bend

Post by Sasquatch »

Okay, I'm getting pretty happy with this great big rhodesian - the briar is flawless, the grain and the shape are working well, I didn't carve out any big chunks on the lathe - what more could a guy ask.

My question for the big boys is how do I bend this stem. The pipe is drilled at about 10 degrees, so I don't need much bend. I was wondering if a shorter, sharper bend near the end would look better, or if a guy just wants a real gentle curve. I sort of can't see it in my head.

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My preference would be for a gentle bend, starting a little less than halfway up the flat part of stem.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Just thought I'd mention, with a diamond shank it's a Bulldog. Rhodesian is usually round shank.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

LOL Frank you might be right.... I can't ever keep it straight. I did look though, and thought that rhodesian seemed to get the square, and bulldog the round.... but of course, this could be wrong too.

http://www.pipesmokemag.com/0998/shape.htm

Kurt, (et al) would you have that bit flare back out again a bit, or just taper the whole thing slightly from bowl to button?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Boy, are opinions ever split and muddled as to what qualifies for rhodesian and what for bulldog! I can't get any consensus at all from the net sites.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

As I understand it, a bulldog has a diamond shank. A rhodesian has a round shank. I wasn't aware there was a differing opinion. I learn something new every day....

As for flare, I don't know. Got an illustration of what you mean?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Sasquatch wrote:Boy, are opinions ever split and muddled as to what qualifies for rhodesian and what for bulldog! I can't get any consensus at all from the net sites.
I see what you're saying based on the pictures, but if you read the description you'll see that the bulldog is said to have a diamond shank.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Other ways to categorize between bulldog and rhodesian seem to include basic bowl geometry, whether the pipe is bent or straight, shank being diamond or round, and/or any combination of these factors. But I'm happy to stick with round vs diamond and leave it at that!

I will call this a bulldog, which I did originally, and then changed it to suit that picture on the website I found, not wanting to look like an ignoramus, which well....

Kurt, the fishtail mouthpiece is currently is wider than the rest of the shank, but not by much. I was wondering if this style of pipe ordinarily gets a "straighter" treatment - tapering smaller and smaller right to the button.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Sasquatch wrote:Kurt, the fishtail mouthpiece is currently is wider than the rest of the shank, but not by much. I was wondering if this style of pipe ordinarily gets a "straighter" treatment - tapering smaller and smaller right to the button.
Your stem is not exactly a "fishtail", but I think what you're asking is if the stem should have a waist or a straight taper. I don't know, so I'll let someone else decide.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

I would do a slight gradual bend over the entire length of the stem. The shank looks to be straight and any more than a very slight bend will look out of place.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sasquatch wrote:Kurt, the fishtail mouthpiece is currently is wider than the rest of the shank, but not by much. I was wondering if this style of pipe ordinarily gets a "straighter" treatment - tapering smaller and smaller right to the button.
Ah, I gotcha.

That, I think, is a matter of personal preference - specific to saddle stems anyway. I've seen straight and fishtail saddle stems on bulldogs, and I don't think that there's a right or wrong way - as long it works with the rest of the pipe. If it was a taper bit instead of a saddle, I wouldn't fishtail it at all since I don't think it would look right.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yes Frank... that's a better way to describe it.

Thanks all. I will further abuse the beast this weekend.