Seven

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
FredS

Seven

Post by FredS »

I'm not real happy with this one, but I made an early decision to post my first ten pipes. I think my sense of style is developing faster than my skills to produce because two months ago I would have been pleased as punch with this one.

Whadaya think?

"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Nice work. I would like it better if the bottom of the bowl, the shank, and the base of the stem formed a straight line.
android

Post by android »

nice one fred. the only thing that doesn't work for me is the short bowl, but that's probably what the block offered. i think it flow of it is nice and i like the insert and the stem looks really nice. i'd be happy to smoke out of it!
FredS

Post by FredS »

Would more stemwork improve the lines?

ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Fred,

It's a good looking pipe. You need to work on your "chin" and "cheeks." There really should be nothing below the horizontal plane of the shank. The bowl is nicely defined save for the "cheeks." Cutting in a very defined back profile where the bowl joins the shank can be one of the most difficult things to learn when it comes to making a shape really work. The finishing looks excellent; you've managed to generate some nice contrast in the grain and produce a very smooth glassy finish. I really dislike both the maple extensions and the green/white dots in the stem, but this is largely a matter of personal preference.

Todd
FredS

Post by FredS »

OK - I've looked at this post a couple of times throught the day at work and I really don't like it. It's going back to the bench for some major reshaping. Will post updates later.