The Dunhill Experience

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Fuente81

The Dunhill Experience

Post by Fuente81 »

Hi all,

I have a subject that I would like to hear your thoughts on. Dunhill pipes.
So lately I have been becoming increasingly obsessed with chimney stacked and standard billiard’s as well as Canadian shapes. And the obsession seems to have brought me to the famous doors of Dunhill. Why? I have no idea! Other than the fact that of the hundreds of billiards I have seen and held in various shops and purchased on e-bay, the Dunhill’s seem to be the best. But why? What is it about them that makes them so perfect? Is it the weight? The finish? The combo of it all? I am not sure. But I do know this, if I hold one of my estate billiards that is the exact same size next to a Dunhill, there is an obvious difference in the details. And perhaps that’s the answer to my question in itself. It is the details that make the difference and nothing more. Either way, I would love to hear your thoughts on this and on what makes a Dunhill seperate from the rest.

Thanks!

E.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Dunhills are over-priced and over-rated for no particular reason that I can distinguish. You pay for the dot and a brand, not necessarily quality. I have found old Comoy's and Charatan's and Sasieni's quality, attention to detail, and shape aesthetics to be equal to or greater than Dunhill. I also feel that Charatans and pre-trans Barlings' smoke better.

I should add that Dunhill collectibility is in part due to the fact that their pipes can be dated to an exact year.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

kbadkar wrote:Dunhills are over-priced and over-rated for no particular reason that I can distinguish. You pay for the dot and a brand, not necessarily quality. I have found old Comoy's and Charatan's and Sasieni's quality, attention to detail, and shape aesthetics to be equal to or greater than Dunhill. I also feel that Charatans and pre-trans Barlings' smoke better.

I should add that Dunhill collectibility is in part due to the fact that their pipes can be dated to an exact year.
The first thing I usually do when I buy a new Dunhill is try to make it somewhat smokable. I have a thing for he Group 1's, but it's usually either longtime dedicated collectors, or those newly taken with the hobby who covet Dunhills. In my experience with collectors, most that continue collecting, pass through their Dunhill phase and on into something else. Perhaps the mystique lies in the sanding scratches that often remain near the button.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote:Perhaps the mystique lies in the sanding scratches that often remain near the button.
Or the fact that you can hit High C when drawing?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I have to agree with the responses so far. I recently refurbished a 70's era Dunhill Prince Shellbriar that had the stem chewed through. I was amazed to find that the tenon/mortise fit was way off. There was a good 1/8" gap. I wasn't impressed. Here's a picture of the original stem and my handcarved stem:

I'm reserving my final judgement on Dunhill pipes until I've owned and smoked one but I remain skeptical. Seems to me Dunhill is even better at marketing than making pipes.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

To me, Dunhills hold the same basic appeal as a silk pocket handkerchief. They're classic, look great with a finely tailored suit, and are relatively useless for anything other than looks. And, come to think of it, a Dunhill is about as good at combusting tobacco as silk is at absorbing snot.

Todd