this is the chemical name fo rcontrast stain

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
smokepiper

this is the chemical name fo rcontrast stain

Post by smokepiper »

anilinhydrochloride = C6H5NH2.HCl
Brass(II)chloride, natriumchorate =CuCl2.2H2O, NaClO3
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Aw, c'mon Ronny! Make them work for the translation! :twisted:

It was pretty easy for me, knowing a bit about metals and reactives. One thing to keep in mind is that brass is actually an alloy of copper and tin, and would easily disassociate before it got into a chloride form. Part of the secret is in the chemical designation.

Now, before everyone goes out and buys a bunch of these, please PLEASE PLEASE keep in mind that what you have here is a metal salt that is highly corrosive when in solution, a oxidizer that will wreak havoc on damn near anything it touches, and a reactant that will violently combust if it comes in contact with a significant amount of an oxidizer.

I may be overstating the situation a little, but there's a real good reason to be careful with these chemicals. Mishandled, they can do real damage to you, your lungs, and your house.

I'm sure you know all this Ronny, but not all of us get personal instruction from Tom Eltang in their use and care. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

all i know of these things is that it´s quite dangerous chemicals in what way i don´t know, i know the reaction is when you apply the last chemical to the wood and the first chemical must be well dry before apply. Soz Kurt, That´s why i decided to post the chemical names along with the thread so the translation can´t be wrong. perhaps i should have kept my new knowledge to myself. Everyone else likes to have these things as secrets, i don´t find secrets the accurate way for progress. I might be wrong! And as for translation sorry but i am from a nonenglish country, my intentions was to help not to harm. :(
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dispersing knowledge is never a bad thing, don't get me wrong. I just want to make sure that folks know they need to handle these things with the utmost care. This being a public forum, I'd hate for someone to get a hold of this info and injure themselves.

For instance, pouring the contents of one bottle into another will produce a spectacular reaction. And even pouring water in the anhydrous versions of these chemicals will generate enough heat to explode the vessel they're contained in. A good rule of thumb is to always add the chemical to the water, not the other way around.

But, since we're sharing, the first chemical, translated to English, is Copper (II) Chloride. The "(II)" is an important bit here. The Second is Sodium Chlorate, and the third is Aniline Hydrochloride.

The first Copper (II) Cholride is rather dangerous in solution, and needs to be treated with the utmost care.

Ronny, do the bottles say anything about the concentration? Like "32 Baume" or anything like that?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

I see the problem Kurt, to mix the fluids will create a reaction not wanted lol. Good thing to never have the 2 bottles open at the same time. While applying the second fluid never put the same pipecleaner twice in bottle, always use a new one for each time. Sorry, it doesn´t say anything else but what i have told you already. My misstake with translate brass instead of copper and had no idea of that natrium was sodium in english. Thought it was universal language in chemistry, thx for the update Kurt.
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

I know that the concentration is a thing you have to try out, at least that is what the other do.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks Ronny! Even in chemistry, there doesn't seem to be a common language except for the molecular name. Confusion abounds!

I think you posted a good clue as to the concentration of the first chemical when you said it looked like mouthwash. That seems to indicate that it's a fairly middling solution.

Thanks for the info, man. It has certainly cleared up about 4 years of confusion for me!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

please update the results of your stain, perhaps i can see if there is something wrong by looking at the results. The final result is going to be a pit black surface with some crystal like coating. i used hairdryer for speeding the reaction once but i think the normal speed is the best way to gain a perfect result. Nice that i saved you further years of brainfire, this stain is nothing like any other stain i used.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

So let me get this straight . It appears that this is a 3 stage application. First being the application of Coper(II),then the application of the 2nd chemical,followed by the application of the anilinhydrochloride? The MDS Sheets on this stuff is pretty informative and should be required reading.
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

the copper and sodium is in the same bottle and the last one is on it´s own. 2 stage stain but be sure not mix the 2 bottles use new pipecleaner each time you dip into bottle. But try very small amounts at time so it doesn´t backfire or something i don´t know the blending order. but i could talk to a chemist for some answers get back with update.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

smokepiper wrote:the copper and sodium is in the same bottle and the last one is on it´s own. 2 stage stain but be sure not mix the 2 bottles use new pipecleaner each time you dip into bottle. But try very small amounts at time so it doesn´t backfire or something i don´t know the blending order. but i could talk to a chemist for some answers get back with update.

That would be great if you could find the ratio of the sodium to the copper. I have found a chemical dealer who stocks the 3 chemicals. I am very interested in trying this chemical stain. My only fear is that these chemicals being as dangerous as they are could somehow leach into the bowl and adding heat somehow enter the users bloodstream causing a great number of ailments. I think the first pipe I do with this stain I will keep for my own use, I would feel aweful if I poisoned someone.`
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

as long as you keep the stuff away from the tobacco chamber there is no need to be afraid of poison effects, the stain is about 1-2 mm into the wood so no need to worry